PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    one jar of sauce to me is Two to Three adult portions. Stretch to Four at a pinch with 'bulking' out.
    But, my idea of a portion may be a lot more generous than yours! My lot are greedy!
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    About 7 or 8 portions for me but I always add extra veg and freeze leftovers in individual tubs.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For me it would very much depend on the meal I was making with it. For example I use between 200g and 250g for spag bol for 2 hungry adults and 2 hungry small people as I add plenty of veg and we like pasta the traditional Italian way with enough sauce to coat but not drown. However if I'm making a mince and onion plate pie (generally with some diced carrot and celery in too) then I will use at least 500g if not 600g for the same people.
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd also say 4-6 adult portions for that amount...
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 December 2012 at 10:40PM
    For us (3 Adults) that'd do 3 meals - Spag Bol, add Chilli & Beans for Chilli con Carne, 3rd outing Pasta Bake.

Lots of veg added tho - onions, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, celery & the kidney beans at least.

Whoops! - Just realised I half the mince before freezing, so 18 portions (3 meals for 3 x 2) actually!
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Back in the day when Domestic Science at school actually taught you how to cook meals; 4oz or 100g per person was always the rule of thumb.

As an aside, slicing a roast thinner and spreading over the plate gives the illusion there is more meat in a meal than thicker sliced chunks, so satisfies the meat beasts better ;).
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    in our house that would be 6 portions as we make meat really stretch
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm assuming as you've added Dolmio you're using it with pasta. I don't weigh mine out after adding all the extras but I portion out 2 generous tablespoons of the 'meat mixture' plus some extra sauce per person on pasta or in lasagne.

I'd be inclined to do that and freeze any extra.
  • I would say 8 portions based on what we use, we get 3 meals for 2 out of a 500g pack. Depends how saucy it is tho, you may need to add a tin tomatoes and some herbs. We would use 3 tins of tomatoes for that amount of mince I reckon.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The recommended portion size of red meat for the average adult is 4oz/113g, so 750g would give you six full portions. Of course if you padded it out you could get more in terms of portions. But you do need to keep an eye on protein intake and either compensate for smaller meat portions by either adding more protein in other ways (lentils, cheese on the top, yoghurt for pudding) or having other proteins at other meals.

There's no advantage of having excessively large portions of meat btw, unless you're into weight training. You just use the excess for fuel or lay it down as fat.
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport