andrew-b Posts: 2,413
First Anniversary
Forumite

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We did something similar to what you are suggesting with removing the radiators and flashing them with a hose. It took a long time to do and of course you have all the effort of taking them all off and then reconnecting and ensuring there are no leaks.

I was given a rough estimate of about £400 for a powerflush but that wasn't guaranteed until they'd had a look. For us it was worth the effort to save the money but we will be replacing out boiler at some point in the next year and getting all new rads and pipework.
  • EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    How can you manage to get a Magnaclean for £10?

Taking the radiators out and flushing them with a garden hose will undoubtedly help. Whilst you are doing this, whack them with a rubber mallet as this should loosen up a bit more crud.

When re-instating, use Sentinel X800 – this is much faster acting than most products and will effectively clean your system in a day.

Installing the Magnaclean is an excellent idea. This together with a proprietary inhibitor will ensure that you system gets progressively cleaner. The one weak point of a Magnaclean is the isolating valves, they are both awkward to use and not too reliable. After a few failures I have started to fit 22mm full bore ¼ turn lever valves before and after the Magnaclean – this is a much better arrangement and only adds a tenner or so to the job.

I have no idea how much you will have to pay someone to fit it. It’s a pretty easy job so should not take more than an hour or so. Make sure you get an actual heating engineer – someone that knows the difference between the primary flow and return and you should be fine.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Hi, Andy: Sorry to hear about your trials. I'm surprised your installer, Swale Heating, didn't powerflush the CH system (the OH always includes a powerflush and a Boiler Buddy,which uses standard 22mm gate-type valves, in all quotes). For a powerflush using Sentinel or Fernox products and fitting a customer supplied Magnaclean/Boiler Buddy down here you're looking at £350 and a day

Note to Elite Heat..... Have you tried the Boiler Buddy?

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • EliteHeat
    Note to Elite Heat..... Have you tried the Boiler Buddy?

No, simply because of their need for pump valves - the bane of my life!

Fitted loads of Magnacleans though and they never fail to impress - with the exception of the crappy isolators though.
  • EliteHeat
    What you're planning on doing will be fine. Far more than most installers, let alone householders.

Incidentally, BG seem to now be cooling off on powerflushes in favour of fitting Magnacleans.
  • Canucklehead
    andrew-b wrote: »
    To be fair to them I think powerflush was discussed originally but because i'd drained down a rad and the water appeared pretty much clear I thought it was going to be unnecessary - in hindsight this was not one of my best decisions! Out of about 5 quotes at the time I think British Gas were the only one's who tried a hard sell on powerflushing to me.

Looking at the worksheet what was actually carried out was a cold flush initially, a hot flush with cleaner in and another flush before refilling with inhibitor added. As i recall it the water ran fairly clear and there wasn't really any major sign of sludge. In hindsght i'd probably have insisted on the powerflush now but nevermind!

I was looking at the boiler buddy the other day on fernox website. Other than their isolator valves and the window allowing you to see into the boiler buddy is there that much difference between magnaclean and boiler buddy? From what i've seen the boiler buddy is marginally more expensive though not enough to justify a decision on price alone.

The going rate for powerflushes is of the order of what i suspected. Not sure i can bend the house budget that far without something having to give elsewhere - will look into it though. Everything at the moment seems to be a trade off between what we can afford and the ideal solution.

Andy

Good morning: If you're going to spend the day taking off rads and rinsing by hand you might as well bite the bullet and rent a powerflush from Brandon's at Westwood.The OH doesn't 'hardsell' powerflushes just follows 'Best Practice' in all aspects of central heating installation: saves lots of hassle for the client and himself as you have discovered;).

HTH

Canucklehead
  • Canucklehead
    EliteHeat wrote: »
    What you're planning on doing will be fine. Far more than most installers, let alone householders.

Incidentally, BG seem to now be cooling off on powerflushes in favour of fitting Magnacleans.

Good morning: Too many substandard installations out there but conversely good business for anyone who services/repairs;). BG's gone with the cheaper option: makes for faster installation for their multitudes of subcontractors on carp money.... I don't believe many consumers know about BG's extensive use of subbies or the fact that many ' installers' know nothing about faultfinding/repair (lots of chat about this on diyNOT in the Combustion Chamber).

Canucklehead
  • EliteHeat
    lots of chat about this on diyNOT in the Combustion Chamber

I really ought to get around to submitting my Corgi details, but that lot can be a bit hardcore at the best of times - it does your head in sometimes :D
  • Canucklehead
    EliteHeat wrote: »
    that lot can be a bit hardcore at the best of times - it does your head in sometimes :D

Absolutely;)

Canucklehead
  • My Father has just had his C/H replaced with a new combi-boiler and they have fitted the item below. Is this comparable to the boiler buddy or similar devices ?

Dirt Separators

The Spirovent Dirt separator is designed to separate and collect the dirt particles circulating in the system's water. Dirt is released through a bottom drain valve.
    17196.gif

Part No.DescriptionUnit Price Qty17196 22 mm compression, horizontal £75.60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family