Resolvecall/British Gas

So, we're behind with our Gas payments (due to a string of bad luck emergencies over the last few months). I've paid what I can, when I can. We've also just got a bill for this quarter which is astronomical, so I'm querying that with British Gas as well. Anyway, today someone from Resolvecall came asking for my husband, I stupidly accepted the letter he had in his hand. Basically, we need to pay the whole thing this week (no chance, unfortunately :( ) The letter states a minimum amount, which my husband is prepared to pay on Friday when he gets paid, and I've then offered to match that when I get paid on Monday. There'd still be some outstanding, but at least we would have paid about 2/3 of it. According to this man, that wouldn't be good enough to stop them getting a warrant of entry. I'm scared that they'll try and break into my home now :(
What would people advise?

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    You need to speak to BG directly. If you tell them the problem and ask to come to an arrangement, they may be able to help. Alternatively, check this out : http://www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk/

It is a charity which was set up by BG to help those who are having problems paying. I dont know all the details, but certainly worth a look.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Thanks. Hubby called BG when he came home. They've recalculated our direct debit to collect what we owe, and are looking into the discrepancy in this quarter's gas bill for us
  • I've been awake all night thinking about this, and the more I've thought about it, the dodgier it seems. When this guy turned up, he handed me this envelope and said my husband was being served.
    Am I wrong to think that you can only be served a court document? Inside this envelope was a collections letter from Resolvecall , not a court document.
    As I said, we've arranged to pay BG but I'm still scared they'll turn up when I'm out and try to break in to change the meters.
  • happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    I would lodge a complaint with BG about the wording used from the agent regarding the letter. Resolve call work for loads of companies, including banks.

It sounds dodgy to me.

BG shouldn't do anything heavy if there is a dispute on the account and you have talked to them.
    :beer:
  • Resolve Call are dreadful, they called at my home a few years ago when we were out , but I had a friend staying with me at the time who was in .They knocked the door and friend answered it , the guy asked for my husband and as he was out just handed the card to our friend . No enverlope and the card stated who he owed money to etc.
    Disgusting behaviour , we wrote to the OFT and complained.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure