Anything & Everything New York (PART 2) - [please search thread before posting]

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    phatbear wrote: »
    Grand Central Terminal 30mins or grab a coffee and people watch for an hour, its only a train station by the way
    :confused: ONLY a train station? It is the most fantabulous train station. Even the boys were impressed. We were there to catch a train, and spent a couple of hours there. Apart from anything else, it was the only place they let me go shopping! Wonderful food stalls in one of the arcades (although probably not the cheapest place to shop ...)
    phatbear wrote: »
    Staten Island Ferry, go over and get back on the same ferry (30mins)
    If you time it for lunch or coffee time, there is a small cafe sort of to the right of the Library where we enjoyed a very casual lunch at a very good price. You'd have to search my posts in the old thread if you wanted a name.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    :confused: ONLY a train station? It is the most fantabulous train station.

dont get me wrong its nice and its amazing how many films come flooding back to you when you stand in the main hall, but as previously stated its still just a train station.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • becky_rtw wrote: »
    Before Mark has a heart attack from stress:
    JFK is one of the busiest airports in the world. What a useless fact you've just read, because you don't want to stay there, you want to get into Manhattan.
    At each airport there are a number of different options. Most options stay the same

Taxi - Not the cheapest way, but by sure the easiest. Walk out of the airport, and follow the signs for ground transportation. There is a uniformed taxi dispatcher who will ask you how many passengers, and where you want to go. Cabs cannot pick you up anywhere apart from these designated areas. The beauty about JFK, is you know exactly how much you are going to pay for your cab. $45 plus toll and tip. This is because, going from JFK to Manhattan is a fixed fare. There is nothing extra to pay. The tolls can be up to $4.50, which would then make your fare $49.50, plus a MINIMUM 15% TIP. (Please don't insult the taxi driver with a small tip, us brits already are regarded by New Yorkers as tight/stingy for our supposed small or even no tips.) A Taxi will take up to an hour from JFK to Manhattan.

I got a taxi into Upper East Side in the end and it took 25 mins, but that was on New Years Day - I got driven back and 45 minutes is more like it - but again traffic was light that day - so no you cant get in and back in that time - take a book to read!

Becky I have a 6hr wait in JFK on Monday, we fly to Oregon on thurs then back to NY on Monday to get our flight to the UK back. If there is any way of storing our luggage somewhere id be tempted to head back into Manhattan for a few hrs.
  • greenface wrote: »
    one is full of Yankers
    and the other :T :money:

Yes, that is true:rotfl:
  • I didn't rate Macy's at all, just thought it looked like a pimped up Marks and Sparks to be honest.
    We went to the Empire state and the rock today, empire in the day, it wasn't busy at all which was a relief, I imagine it could be awful when it is. The rock was by far my favorite! The lift is amazing. We went about 10.30pm and there was hardly anyone around, I found it far more impressive than the Empire, it is also quite well layed out in my opinion.
    If you go to the ice rink by the rock, about 8pm you will hopefully see a very well dressed chinese man quite literally dancing on ice, apparently he is there every night wearing his i-pod and moon walking across the rink! He looks like he has just stepped off wall street or something, very odd but amusing to watch. You will know him as soon as you see him, he just spends hours skating in his suit and dancing:D
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Becky I have a 6hr wait in JFK on Monday, we fly to Oregon on thurs then back to NY on Monday to get our flight to the UK back. If there is any way of storing our luggage somewhere id be tempted to head back into Manhattan for a few hrs.

I'll answer this one.

Where you flying from to end up in JFK for 6 hours. Because if you're connecting, and just have a 6 hour layover, there shouldn't any reason why you'll have your luggage with you, as it will be checked through to Oregon.

EDIT!!! oh dear.. i wish i could read when i wake up in the morning..
    Right.. at Oregon, you'll check in your luggage, and theoretically, if you tell them you're flying to Manchester, UK, they will check you in for your hop flight to JFK, and also the JFK - MAN flight, and your luggage will be checked through..
    then you'll be free to leave the airport once you hit JFK, and head back into Manhattan, and spend a few more hours there..

i really should read things, then my answers make more sense!
  • becky_rtw
    becky_rtw Posts: 8,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Marky! Luggage as already stated is not my specialty!

I agree about grand central though - its amazing - I watched the light show and looked at the lower levels and would have gone to the bar (through the restaurant, through a lobby, its decked out like an old library), but it was closed sadly :( - I'd say I was there for about an hour or two!
  • markymoo wrote: »
    I'll answer this one.

Where you flying from to end up in JFK for 6 hours. Because if you're connecting, and just have a 6 hour layover, there shouldn't any reason why you'll have your luggage with you, as it will be checked through to Oregon.

EDIT!!! oh dear.. i wish i could read when i wake up in the morning..
    Right.. at Oregon, you'll check in your luggage, and theoretically, if you tell them you're flying to Manchester, UK, they will check you in for your hop flight to JFK, and also the JFK - MAN flight, and your luggage will be checked through..
    then you'll be free to leave the airport once you hit JFK, and head back into Manhattan, and spend a few more hours there..

i really should read things, then my answers make more sense!

Heehee no sorry, I didnt make myself clear either, its not a connecting flight, we got flights to and from New York from the 16th Jan to the 26th. I got separate ones to and from Oregon. x
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    are both flights with Delta?

if so, when you check in at Oregon, tell them you want to check in for Manchester, UK, and they can do everything there.. i've had hops around, but all with the same airline, i was going from LaGuardia - Portland, ME - Philadelphia - Manchester, on 2 seperate tickets with US airways, on the same day, and at LGA, they just checked my luggage, and i never saw it again til manchester.. (though the check in clerk could have just put me on a flight from LGA - PHL, but she was a bit of a jobsworth, or so they said when i got to PWM!)

if not, there might be a possibility of checking in at JFK really early, depends if the international desk is open when you get there!
  • markymoo wrote: »
    are both flights with Delta?

if so, when you check in at Oregon, tell them you want to check in for Manchester, UK, and they can do everything there.. i've had hops around, but all with the same airline, i was going from LaGuardia - Portland, ME - Philadelphia - Manchester, on 2 seperate tickets with US airways, on the same day, and at LGA, they just checked my luggage, and i never saw it again til manchester.. (though the check in clerk could have just put me on a flight from LGA - PHL, but she was a bit of a jobsworth, or so they said when i got to PWM!)

if not, there might be a possibility of checking in at JFK really early, depends if the international desk is open when you get there!

Really? That would be amazing, so they would just transfer our luggage over for us?
    Oh I would love that as im going to have a heavy suitcase! x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport