Net Asset Valuation

2»

Comments

• Totton
    Totton Posts: 981 Forumite
    Morningstar publish the Net Asset Value Per Share and the Net Tangible Asset Value Per Share on their site, if that's of use look under the 'Key Ratios' tab of an equity.
  • Many thanks to both Reaper and Totton for answering the query. Much appreciated.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    True, but physical book value at least means that you're looking at the value of assets you could walk up to and kick.

Having been involved in trying to value "good will", I can assure you that it's like trying to climb a rainbow.

I'm surprised gadget, everyone knows goodwill Is the made up number between what you can prove a company is worth and what it is valued or sold at.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    bigadaj wrote: »
    I'm surprised gadget, everyone knows goodwill Is the made up number between what you can prove a company is worth and what it is valued or sold at.

Yup, usually goodwill is the difference between what a company is acquired for and what it's demonstrably worth. When a company does a lot of M&A, goodwill can tend to escalate somewhat. Thusly, when you acquire a company that's done a lot of acquisitions (been there, done that) things get rather abstract.

After a few decades of this, you tend to prefer kickable assets. I know I do!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Yup, usually goodwill is the difference between what a company is acquired for and what it's demonstrably worth. When a company does a lot of M&A, goodwill can tend to escalate somewhat. Thusly, when you acquire a company that's done a lot of acquisitions (been there, done that) things get rather abstract.

After a few decades of this, you tend to prefer kickable assets. I know I do!

That's a very old fashioned view, you've missed out on the tens if billions of goodwill in Facebook that now, surprisingly, doesn't exist anymore!
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    bigadaj wrote: »
    That's a very old fashioned view

I'm very happy with high-tech companies, but prefer my accounting to have a creaky, old-fashioned and dependable air to it.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure