Cheque confusion!

Sorry didn't know where to post this!
Basically I've written two cheques from
My account and realised there isn't enough money to cover them!
I've rung my bank to see if they were likely to go out tomorrow as if have to go to town to put money in...
She said they have not been presented yet...
So I said that's great il make sure there is money in by mon but she replied I need to get cash in today...
What does not presented mean? I assumed I'd have a couple of days from when they are presented?
Sorry bit rambley just wanted to avoid a trip to town with the kids! Thanks in advance x
Stepchange dmp £6350
Debt free date jul 2021

Emergency fund needs refuelling!

Aiming for a debt free stress free life with some money in the bank!

Comments

• amorge
    amorge Posts: 386 Forumite
    Can't answer sorry but if it were me I'd go into town just to be on the safe side - you don't want to end up with bank charges for insufficient funds! :(
    LBM 18/06/15 - [STRIKE]£20,276.64[/STRIKE] :eek:
    01/07/15 - £19,897.02
  • second_chance
    second_chance Posts: 273 Forumite
    True... Thankyou x
    Stepchange dmp £6350
    Debt free date jul 2021

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Just means they have not yet been banked by the receiver.

If you have insufficient funds, one of the cheques will bounce, normally it would be represented 7 days later.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • second_chance
    second_chance Posts: 273 Forumite
    So if someone banked a cheque today it would show as presented to my bank? Is that right... Quite interested in how it all works actually ... Never thought about it before! X
    Stepchange dmp £6350
    Debt free date jul 2021

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    So if someone banked a cheque today it would show as presented to my bank? Is that right... Quite interested in how it all works actually ... Never thought about it before! X

Usually within 24 hrs yes.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure