The "Save 12k in 2016" Thread!

Comments

• Hi SF - please could you put me down for £1000 again for February? #005

I'm moving house this month so trying to avoid dipping into the savings, gonna be tough I think!
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Bit late with my first payment update for 2016. Sticking with the same approach as last year, £250 every month instant transfer to regular savings then see how much extra I can save during the month to get to £500 total per month at possible.

As usual, nice round number of £424.79 for Jan :D
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Transferred £8.00 across to my regular saving account. Will update later in the month.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • kitty__2
    kitty__2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well I have been selling a few things on eBay and have sold four things totalling £125.19! Also received some interest taking my total so far this month up to £145.01.

It doesn't sound like much but my savings usually come from my paycheque at the end of the month so I've already got a head start!

I have also opened a Nationwide FlexDirect so when internet banking is set up for that I will transfer the money out of my pitiful ISA into it :)
  • RichyRich wrote: »
    Don't be disheartened. These things happen and you have identified why you didn't save anything - because you were paying off your credit card (which is a POSITIVE thing as you are now starting with a clean slate and not in debt.

Onwards and upwards, we'll get there!

I would say go (unless you have debts). You've got the rest of your life to save money, this might be an unrepeatable experience which will give you memories and bonds friendship for the rest of your life.

I look back on things I didn't do, as I felt I needed to stick to my strict savings budget, and feel sad I can never do them now, because people have died, moved on etc. :(

It's important to look after the future, but not at the expense of the present (Wentthedaywell's word of wisdom for the day :D ).

Thanks guys

I was concentrating so hard on saving that I forgot that paying off CC was actually 'saving'

and I took your advise Wentthedaywell?... I decided to go ahead with the holiday as you're right I don't want to regret it later on...but we going to do it MSE style (of course!!) :rotfl:

I think as I had such a rubbish 2015.... I was adamant to not let it happen again so was really strict on myself....then when I didn't save anything - got disheartened
    I went from one extreme to the other :(

but hey new month!...and a short one at that! :beer::T
    Losing (lbs) for ........a healthier future.......:)
    Saving (£) for.........a secure future.......:)

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi folks - first post but have £481 towards my goal of £12k. Not enough as yet but its a start.

Cheers

Brizzle
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I haven't forgotten this thread,honest: we are still living with inlaws while building-works continue in our house.They have no internet,so I can only go online when I come to the library.
    So,for the end of January,I transferred £500 to my savings pot.Very pleased with that.I probably could have added a bit more,but didn'r for 2 reasons: may soon need to make a contribution to paying for above-mentioned house extension
    I am on holidays at the moment-self-employed,so no work,no pay.
    Hopefully will have a nice amount to add at the end of Feb (a short month :)).I know I won't save £12,000 this year (only earn approx £5000 a year,and OH might not be happy if I start squirrelling away the house-keeping he gives me each month.:rotfl:)
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• sweetpeas_2
    sweetpeas_2 Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    Evening :)

I don't have an update yet (won't be able to save anything for another month or two yet) but as I'm new back to the thread and challenge I was after some inspiration really! :o

Me and DH work full time and he also has a second part time job - this is where most of our savings will be coming from. How does everyone else manage to save up such huge totals each month?

It's rather personal (and nosey :o) of me lol - just wondered as there are some big saves on this thread :D

sweet x
  • I'm aiming for £18000 though not from jan to dec but from april till april as the car and motorbike is paid off.One more payment on the bike and two on the car.yipeeee
  • sweetpeas wrote: »
    Evening :)

How does everyone else manage to save up such huge totals each month?

It's rather personal (and nosey :o) of me lol - just wondered as there are some big saves on this thread :D

sweet x

I am curious about this too! I managed to get an activation code for Roamler...so far so good and have also signed up to Pinecone Research although no surveys from that yet. Also thought I'd give ratesetter a go and opened the Flex Direct account with Nationwide for that 6% interest rate. I'd love to do some work on the side but can't figure out what...preferably something I can do while I am on the train to and from work (2 hours each day!!!)
    Save £12k in 2017 / Dec 2017 Travel Cash = £12,400 / £14,000 88.5%[/COLOR]

House Deposit = £20,500 / £18,000:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family