Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kp52 wrote: »
    ... Offered address of 170 Garratt Lane when asked,...
    As I mentioned in my earlier post in September, that's the address of the Wandsworth Volunteer Bureau

170garrattlanewandswort.jpg
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    kp52 wrote: »
    Just had a call (lady with an Indian accent) from the "United Kingdom Accident Helpline" (strange the caller ID said "International", then), claiming to be acting on info from the "Road Traffic Accident Bureau" that someone in my household had a minor acident in the past three years. Offered address of 170 Garratt Lane when asked, and a phone number of 0800 956 2811. Very persistent, though I said bluntly that they shouldn't be cold-calling me if it's a UK firm (we're on TPS), and this must be a scam. She still tried to tell me someone had had an accident (nope) and was due some compensation. From the reaction of this caller and the computer virus caller a couple of months ago to me telling them directly they're frauds, I begin to have a tiny tiny tiny bit of sympathy for the call-centre operatives themselves - I do believe they actually believe what they're telling you! Or am I just going soft in my old age :question:

just had exactly the same
    asked 4 email or phone no, but they said they are going to write, I don't think so.
  • Just took a call from an outfit describing themselves as "UK Claims" reckoning to be able to get you your banking charges back. They refused to give full company details/address when repeatedly challenged
    so its probably dodgy (calling line ID came up as 0123) and I put the phone down on them.

This site is the only help anyone needs!

Midge.

I also had a call today, they try to verify your address etc by saying they just need the first 4 digits of your debit card. When challenged to get them to tell you who you bank with they have no answer and start to get very annoyed. Eventually after approx 10 mins they put the phone down on me! And they do not give a company name. Number was completly withheld in my case.......Very Dodgy
  • Just had a call from "Claims Online" - claimed to be at 170 Garratt Lane SW18 4DP, tel. no. 090078601 (all of which I suspect is bogus - actual telephone no. was witheld) - woman with an Indian accent - told me I'd had a minor car accident in the past 3 years and they'd got my details from data supplied by what I think was meant to sound like a government department - couldn't give me any actual details of anything and needless to say I didn't assist her. My wife had had a similar call yesterday afternoon. I have no doubt in my own mind that this was a scam (I'd guess the typical pay an admin fee up front / never receive the promised compensation to which they say you were entitled / never hear from them again). So just adding my plea to anyone who gets a call like this - do not give them any information whatsoever - do not give them your bank / credit card details.
  • CHC74
    CHC74 Posts: 1 Newbie
    This is a typical scam along the same lines as the "technical support" scam. The call is a ruse to get your card details, and the scammers will be on a shopping spree before you've hung up the phone and had second thoughts.

NEVER give your card details to anyone who cold calls you.
    A claims management company has to carry out a full assessment of your claim (and properly advise you of your chances of success), provide full details of who will be dealing with your case, who to contact in the event of a complaint and a thorough breakdown of all likely costs and charges before they can act for you (and certainly before you pay them any money).
  • henben
    henben Posts: 12 Forumite
    Have just had the same pathetic attempt at a scam phone call with the usual stuff about some possible accident in the last 3 years but the caller can't reveal any details.

In our case (as in Rebecca's post of 20-10-10) there also seems to be a pointer to a BT angle. We are not married, and our BT phone is in my partner's surname (H
    ); we also have Call Sign (the BT service that gives you an additional number on the same line for a nominal charge; the additional number is very different to the main one and has its own distinctive ring tone).

First of all the phone rang on the call sign number and I let it ring as it is the number used by my partner and she was out. Ten seconds later the main number rang and I answered and the first thing I heard was "Is that Mr. H
    ?".

This is just too much of a coincidence as the only people who know BOTH numbers are (a) BT and (b) our friends who of course all know that I quite naturally go under my own surname rather than calling myself Mr H. In addition the caller also knew our full address.

One of the replies to Rebecca's post quoted that in BT's T&C they do claim the right to release details in certain circumstances if they believe it would be in our interest. I don't believe that the connection between the two different surnames and the two separate telephone numbers and the full postal address could be justified as a legitimate release of information in our interest. (Also I almost certainly withheld permission anyway - tho' I haven't double checked our paperwork.)

I'm not normally overly paranoid but this looks suspiciously like either a leak of, or hack into, BT's customer database.
  • Just had a similar call claiming to be from a different number (02032878699) - called himself Kevin Pietersen (said 'yes' when I asked him if he played cricket ;-) ) - not the first time I've heard of similar calls (see my previous post). As far as I know these are pure scams - they tell you you can claim but have to pay a fee up front for their services - and I'd guess that would be the last you'd hear from them. I reckon they call anyone they can with this story on the basis that a high proportion of people will have had a minor accident some time in the previous few years - and say they can't tell you when or where because of the Data Protection Act! Avoid like the plague! And incidentally I don't use BT for any telecoms services - but I doubt scammers care where they get their data - all they need is name / address / telephone no. which they can get in plenty from a telephone directory!
  • My mam received a call today from a 'company' called 'first calls claims' who claimed to be working with the Ministry of Justice in refunding bank charges and PPI to pensioners.

They stated Santander had lost two cases in the 'High Court' and the government were now working to reimbursing all pensioners who are customers of Santander. They wanted to take her bank details and charge a fee of £99 before they would then arrange to refund £900 charges.

I challenged them for their details, contact numbers, etc etc and he got really agitated and hung up on me.

We have since reported this to the Government Fraud Agency who confirmed they've received numerous calls of this nature.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hezabells wrote: »
    My mam received a call today from a 'company' called 'first calls claims' who claimed to be working with the Ministry of Justice in refunding bank charges and PPI to pensioners.

They stated Santander had lost two cases in the 'High Court' and the government were now working to reimbursing all pensioners who are customers of Santander. They wanted to take her bank details and charge a fee of £99 before they would then arrange to refund £900 charges.

I challenged them for their details, contact numbers, etc etc and he got really agitated and hung up on me.

We have since reported this to the Government Fraud Agency who confirmed they've received numerous calls of this nature.

Well done.

For the benefit of those not aware, they do not work with the ministry of justice. That would be like me, an IFA, saying I work with the FSA.

Also, Santander have lost no cases in court like that and the Govt is taking no such action.

It is all lies to get them to sound more official and encourage people to pay money up front. It is known as advance fee fraud.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Today we had received 3 calls from a company claiming to be Claims UK.

They requested to speak to the home owner due to a recent car accident.

Each time I asked them to remove our details from their database as we do not require their services and not pass on our information or to contact us further . However, it still continued.

When questioned it turns out they got our information from the Road Traffic Accident Database.

Does anyone know how the hell to stop these "injury so called lawyers" from paying for this information and then contacting us.

We cant be the only people getting these calls. there must be a way to stop them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure