What is Pay rate for Tesco's per hour?

Options

Comments

• markprest
    Options
    minimum wage employers? bear in mind that one its a 2.5% or so payrise for all staff during a period when half the public sector had a wage freeze. then you factor in there are no qualifications taken into account when you are interviewed for said job. Plus after a set period you get a discount card entitling you to 10% off shopping plus the same reward points.. a pension scheme 2nd to none and a life insurance policy built into your contract when you are permanent staff. Add to that after a years service you get 5% of your annual wage in free shares every year thereafter. Plus a management scheme that judges you on merit rather than a paper degree.... go figure.... Throw in a decent pension and i find it hard to see your point? Yeah its only a pound above minimum wage but its not a taxing job. Granted it can be busy... ie xmas but for a walk in job... not too bad. :D

I would have been too ashamed to have trotted out any of that.

A 2.5% pay rise compared with the public sector freeze? What about compared with salary rises those on the management boards of major supermarkets (like Tesco) will expect? Fair play if they make a point of taking a pay freeze or a rise on the same scale as staff, but something tells me they won't.

A 10% discount on shopping plus the same reward points? You get excited by such small things if you choose, it leaves me totally unmoved. An improved basic salary would be a much better and fairer way of doing things.

5% in shares after a year's service. For someone on £7 an hour, that's a salary of £14,500 for a 40-hour week. So £700 in shares for those at the bottom? Throw the dogs a bone? Is that it?

And the pension scheme? Just how generous is it? How good a pension can someone on £14,500 a year manage to set aside? Who makes up the shortfall? Tesco? It appears far too busy avoiding paying proper UK taxes to do that.

I had no idea about any of this until I came across A.L.D.A.'s post and started looking for more information..

It seems over the last decade or two, salary rises for the vast majority (certainly those on or below the average wage - which is around £22,000-£25,000 a year depending on whose figures you believe) have barely kept pace with inflation and, in some cases, have dropped back. The cost of everything - from housing to utility costs - has risen exponentially. Few of us have kept pace, certainly nobody on average wage. Frankly, that's a recipe for disaster.

Finally, the comment you make about being able to walk into a low-paid job at Tesco without qualifications, carries a deeply patronising, dismissive and exploitative tone to it that I find disturbing. Are you happy for anyone to be exploited by any company which makes such vast profits? That's what paying only slightly above minimum wage is - exploitation.

If you cannot 'see the point' of my post it is because you choose not to see the point.

No matter. I cannot, on my own, change Tesco's attitude or that of any other retailer. I can change where I spend my money. I never thought I'd become a militant shopper, but this issue has incensed me. Tesco will get no more of my money.
  • markprest
    Options
    A.L.D.A wrote: »
    IMO none of them pay well, nor do many of the well known fast food outlets, etc etc. We have far too many threads giving these people free advertisement.

So, who does pay staff a decent wage? Or are they all busy playing the same game?

We seem denuded of real choice. A 'farm shop' has opened just up the road from me. It is part-owned by a celebrity chef and the prices are exhorbitant. I'd be even more uneasy lining his pockets than I would those who own and manage Tesco.

I don't buy processed food. I don't trust manufacturers. I like to know exactly what's in my food so, I make all my own meals, even my own bread. I already have a good independently-owned fishmongers and butchers nearby, but where do I go for the rest of the things I need? I had thought of the Co-op, but is their wage structure any better than anyone else's?

Some help would be welcomed.
  • highrisklowreturn
    Options
    I predict you will be a very hungry boy if you export this attitude to anyone you buy from.
  • markprest
    Options
    I predict you will be a very hungry boy if you export this attitude to anyone you buy from.

Would that be the attitude of expecting people to be paid a fair wage and not cheering for those companies which pay vast sections of their workforce pennies above the bare minimum?
  • dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Now call me cynical but how many posts do jaggedmentality & markprest have? On this recently resurrected thread!
    Dave
  • casey_junior
    Options
    markprest wrote: »
    Would that be the attitude of expecting people to be paid a fair wage and not cheering for those companies which pay vast sections of their workforce pennies above the bare minimum?

So can you tell us how much the family owned shops are paying their staff?
  • highrisklowreturn
    Options
    markprest wrote: »

Yes. Their employees should be grateful for what they have and not complain. Compared to several decades ago, or those living in poorer countries (read: about 90% of the planet) they're living the life of riley on 14.5K. The fact that the company throws in stocks (+dividend, + potential capital growth, which could act as a 2nd pension) is a real bonus. Certainly more favourable than the bottom of the public sector.

I can't imagine what your delivery charges are ordering all your food from Cuba and North Korea.
  • 2sides2everystory
    2sides2everystory Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2011 at 1:02AM
    Options
    A.L.D.A wrote: »
    For context the minimum wage is;
    • £5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
    • £4.92 - the 18-20 rate

Lest anyone not have noticed, the Current NMW rates went up shortly after A.L.D.A posted that in September (same for N.Ireland as elsewhere in UK I presume?):

from direct.gov website:
    There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether you are an apprentice. The current rates (from 1 October 2011) are:
    £6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
    £4.98 - the 18-20 rate
    £3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
    £2.60 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

5 years ago a young student friend in northern Europe started on the equivalent of about £12 per hour for supermarket shelf-stacking. He also now is receiving five years of free university education and a living expenses grant even though his parents earn good money. He is doing very well and to expect that to continue, he will not have to prove himself to be a survivor, just a responsible member of a decent society.

We seem to do things differently in the UK, don't we? We all have to be dumbed down to highrisklowreturn's idea of average global humbleness and fight our way out of that to the top of some stinking corporate heap if we can. It's character building or something like that :(
  • Paddy2eyes
    Options
    dmxdave wrote: »
    Now call me cynical ........
    Dave,
    You are cynical.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Putting it in further perspective, John Lewis staff get a 25% discount after only three months and go on to earn shares in the company.
    Also discounts at gymns , hotels, Waitrose .
    Norn Iron Club member 473
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport