Smart meters - what is the catch?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do these smart water meters need leccy to work? if they are plugging them into your mains then I'd expect compensation for the leccy used.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do these smart water meters need leccy to work? if they are plugging them into your mains then I'd expect compensation for the leccy used.
    According to Which?:
    Your gas smart meter will be battery-powered and the electricity smart meter will be plugged into the mains. The gas meter 'talks' to the electricity meter, which sends the information to your energy provider.
    They presumably use a very small amount of power, and if the electric meter gets what power it needs before it is metered into the house, then the running cost to the customer will be zero.
    Of course, if you use the In Home Display, that will use a small amount of metered electricity, to the tune of less than £1 a year I read somewhere.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    According to Which?:

They presumably use a very small amount of power, and if the electric meter gets what power it needs before it is metered into the house, then the running cost to the customer will be zero.
    Of course, if you use the In Home Display, that will use a small amount of metered electricity, to the tune of less than £1 a year I read somewhere.

I was asking about the smart water meters as mentioned in the posts above.

But like you say about "it's only a £1 a year" I don't buy it, it is my £1 why should I pay a £1 a year so some energy company can make even more profits.
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    But like you say about "it's only a £1 a year" I don't buy it, it is my £1 why should I pay a £1 a year so some energy company can make even more profits.
    You will pay for the consumpton of the IHD (in home display unit) if you plug it in. If you don't plug it in then you wont pay for its usage
    baldly going on...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2015 at 8:34PM
    Options
    I was asking about the smart water meters as mentioned in the posts above.

Smart water meter uses a long life battery. and yes LeeUK , I believe you can refuse one.I questioned my meter fitter when he was installing it.He was nt going to volunteer the info but I dragged it out of him in the end. In house display of the Gas/electric smart uses little power, I was quoted 60 p a year by my fitter.
    Italy and Sweden are leading the world in Smart energy meters with 90% of households fitted in Italy and 99% in Sweden( so they must have been compulsory ) I am looking for info about time of use billing with higher price kwhr rates at peak periods because that is the future for us all. Italians/Sweden will be getting a warning when the higher price kwhr rates times come in so have the opportunity to make great savings by timing laundry and high price stuff to a cheaper time.Wifi plug sockets are here now, approx £20 each to make it easier
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    According to Which?:

...and if it doesn't, what does the consumer pay to have the smart meter minus the use of a LCD display screen ?

Furthermore, how much energy would be consumed every year if hypothetically every premises was to have one ?
  • Curious_Moose
    Options
    I've just received a letter from my gas and electricity supplier saying "Your home's old meters must be replaced. As part of our obligations, we now need to change your electricity and gas meters". They then say "If your home is suitable, we intend to fit smart meters"

I thought all of this was optional? I've Emailed them asking if I can just do nothing, but does anyone have any views in the meantime?

Currently, if I have smart meter and then want to switch suppliers, there may be problems if the new supplier isn't compatible with the new set up. I'd prefer to leave it a few months to see if the new meters get standardised across suppliers.

From their letter, it's as if they're saying "We need to change the meters anyway, so we may as well go for the Smart one". The reason they are giving for the change is "after years in operation, there is a minor risk that meters may become less reliable". This sounds like a bit of an excuse to try and push their Smart meters.

Can I just ignore them for a few months?
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've just received a letter from my gas and electricity supplier saying "Your home's old meters must be replaced. As part of our obligations, we now need to change your electricity and gas meters". They then say "If your home is suitable, we intend to fit smart meters"

I thought all of this was optional? I've Emailed them asking if I can just do nothing, but does anyone have any views in the meantime?

Currently, if I have smart meter and then want to switch suppliers, there may be problems if the new supplier isn't compatible with the new set up. I'd prefer to leave it a few months to see if the new meters get standardised across suppliers.

From their letter, it's as if they're saying "We need to change the meters anyway, so we may as well go for the Smart one". The reason they are giving for the change is "after years in operation, there is a minor risk that meters may become less reliable". This sounds like a bit of an excuse to try and push their Smart meters.

I guess while smart meters aren't compulsory, the energy suppliers won't be fitting anything else.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Have a read of this:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/do-i-have-to-accept-a-smart-meter
  • baldelectrician
    Options

You could ignore them until they get a court order to fit new meters.

They are very unlikely to get a court order unless you are in arrears and refusing to pay, or there is a safety issue (fire etc)
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport