not happy with sse/equipower changes

Comments

• NoNoDrama
    NoNoDrama Posts: 237 Forumite
    Do you have at the bottom of the letter a paragraph saying "We'll repay you the difference" a paragraph stating they will help you with the difference for the next 6 months issuing a credit? Mine said £7.84 per month will be credited to each bill.

I've worked this out and it's the standing charge per month. It's all very confusing but it sounds like they will credit you the standing charge for 6 months when the new SSE standard tariff kicks in.
  • grrfy
    grrfy Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 6:31PM
    No there is no mention of a payback or refund on the SSE letter .It does say I will be paying 99.97£ more for electricity and 98.58 more for gas per year tho...OUCH!

Do you mean the SSE letter or a letter from Ebico , they have sent me nothing in the post.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    grrfy wrote: »
    Hi I am with sse/ ebico/equipower on a payg meter ,am unemployed due to illness.
    A huge part of me choosing this tariff was the no standing charge, this made it way ,way easier for me to track the amount of gas and electricity i was using and had available on the meter.Especially if I was not home or using any power/gas
    Now this tariff is ending and it seems the only tariff without a standing charge is available for none PAYG customers caLLED equiZero.

I use very little gas during the summer months and don't use much electricity,aproc 7 to 10 pounds per week for electricity and almost £zero for gas over summer, as I only use the gas heating in the winter . the standing charges will be more than the amount of gas and energy I use per day over a lot of the days esp in summer .

I really don't know what to do as my landlord and indeed my credit history will preclude me from switching to a credit meter and I want a none standing charge tariff.
    Can anybody help me as I am (tbh) really scared this will affect my health and ability to keep up with bills.

Many thanks .

No, there are a number of suppliers/tariffs that offer zero standing charge (but not for PPM customers)

PPM tariffs are now price capped - if you have an issue with that, best take it up with your MP. That's what government intervention does to prices.

Best solution is to consult a comparison site and find the best deal(s) for you. I very much doubt you will find Ebico at the top of the list for electricity supplied via a credit meter, no matter what your consumption. Won't be top for gas either.
  • grrfy
    actually economy energy offer a zero standing charge on prepaymeters .I am thinking of changing just the gas to them.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 July 2017 at 7:02PM
    actually economy energy offer a zero standing charge on prepaymeters .I am thinking of changing just the gas to them.

I don't see that on their website

For the London region, they offer Evergreen Capped which has a daily standing charge 28.760p per day for electricity and 27.500p per day for gas.

Same results from Energyhelpline

Where did you get your info from?
    Which supply region ? (just in case that makes a significant difference, but I doubt it - the price caps imposed on PPM tariffs mean imposing a standing charge seems the only viable business solution)

Edit:
    Actually EHL are indicating E have a zero standing charge (2 rate charging instead ) but I cannot access the E website to check it out.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    ok just got off phone to SSE , prior to us being "sold" by ebico to SSE we were paying...

It was never a case of Ebico customers being "sold" to SSE, even with the 'sold' in inverted commas.

Ebico entered into a new arrangement with RHE and suggested most* customers moved to the new Ebico/RHE deal. In fact Ebico wanted to move us all*, unless we opted out. That turned out not to be possible and instead we had to ask to move.

SSE invited Ebico customers to stay with SSE and not switch to the new Ebico/RHE arrangement.

We all* had a choice to make, stick with Ebico, or stick with SSE - but nobody was "sold" to SSE. If you remained with SSE it was because you made a choice (either intentionally or by default) to do so.

[* I use 'most' and 'all' because (as was explained by Ebico at the time) not all customers would benefit by switching to the new Ebico/RHE arrangement.]
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • grrfy
    Economy Energy value pay as you go , sorry as a new user I cannot post links

thats what I found , although when i looked again just now it mentionss the same daily charge as you mentioned..confused now

applied through ukpower dot co dot uk
  • grrfy
    edited 11 July 2017 at 7:42PM
    Economy Energy says this
    Economy Energy Value Pay As You Go
    Standing charge No standing charge
    Unit rate 4.152p per kWh
    (4.360p inc. VAT)

Day rate 15.305p per kWh
    (16.070p inc. VAT)

Tariff notes

Fixed tariff for 6 months.
    Prepayment meter only
    Dual fuel or single fuel available.
    Early termination fees apply: £25 for gas, £25 for electricity (a total of £50 for dual fuel)

This is in Distributor Area 14 which seems to be west midlands if that makes a difference.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Economy Energy value pay as you go , sorry as a new user I cannot post links

thats what I found , although when i looked again just now it mentionss the same daily charge as you mentioned..confused now

applied through ukpower dot co dot uk
    Economy Energy says this
    Economy Energy Value Pay As You Go
    Unit rate 4.152p per kWh
    (4.360p inc. VAT)

Day rate 15.305p per kWh
    (16.070p inc. VAT)

Tariff notes

Fixed tariff for 6 months.
    Prepayment meter only
    Dual fuel or single fuel available.
    Early termination fees apply: £25 for gas, £25 for electricity (a total of £50 for dual fuel)

This is in Distributor Area 14 which seems to be west midlands if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

I think that is an error by that particular comparison site
    (You cannot apply via that comparison site for that tariff anyway)

According to EnergyLinx comparison site, that tariff by Economy Energy was removed 28-Feb-2017
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    EachPenny wrote: »
    It was never a case of Ebico customers being "sold" to SSE, even with the 'sold' in inverted commas.

Ebico entered into a new arrangement with RHE and suggested most* customers moved to the new Ebico/RHE deal. In fact Ebico wanted to move us all*, unless we opted out. That turned out not to be possible and instead we had to ask to move.

SSE invited Ebico customers to stay with SSE and not switch to the new Ebico/RHE arrangement.

We all* had a choice to make, stick with Ebico, or stick with SSE - but nobody was "sold" to SSE. If you remained with SSE it was because you made a choice (either intentionally or by default) to do so.

[* I use 'most' and 'all' because (as was explained by Ebico at the time) not all customers would benefit by switching to the new Ebico/RHE arrangement.]

I agree that everyone had a choice but the choice was to switch or stay with SSE on a zero SC tariff. SSE have moved the goalposts by ditching the Zero SC part thus creating a new choice for those that stayed. Switch or get ripped off.
    The logic behind this will probably never be known. Maybe so many switched its uneconomic to continue with that tariff. That would explain why Ebico's customer service struggled with the switching volumes. Who knows.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts