Long haul flight stopover tips

Former_MSE_Sally
Former_MSE_Sally Posts: 74 Forumite
edited 19 May 2015 at 4:01PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hi folks,

We want to know if you've found any flight bargains, simply by flying via another city, or stopping over instead of flying direct. We want to know where you went, how much you saved, how you did it and if you think it's worth it.

Any good ones may even make it into our Cheap Flights guide to inspire others :).

Thanks

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Extra time can be holiday entitlement wasting and stopping over missed flight risky, so the money saved isn't sometimes worth it.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Sally wrote: »
    Hi folks,

We want to know if you've found any flight bargains, simply by flying via another city, or stopping over instead of flying direct. We want to know where you went, how much you saved, how you did it and if you think it's worth it.

Any good ones may even make it into our Cheap Flights guide to inspire others :).

Thanks

A rather pointless question, since most screen-scrapers will show fares using both direct and indirect routes, and while indirect flights generally cost less you can't put a figure on it since fares vary from moment to moment.

Personally I have saved a vast amount of money by taking indirect flights. I used to travel regularly to Cotonou (Republic of Benin) and since the only way to fly there directly from the UK is to charter your own aircraft, the tedious wait in Paris was very cost-effective.
  • richardw
    Forumite
    The main problems with the current guide are

the Opodo recommendation, they have such bad reviews, is MSE that desperate for Opodo click thru revenues?

The easyJet flexi fare trick, does it still work as MSE suggests?

Some of the long haul stop over tricks may be on poor aircraft with no inflight entertainment.

The guide suggests travelling in winter with risky stopovers that aren't on through ticketing itineraries with no mention of the risk of winter weather on flight delays and missed connections which could cancel all of the remaining flights in the itinerary.
  • SimonSays
    SimonSays Posts: 716 Forumite
    I'll stick with KLM, less risky and a quick trip to Amsterdam so its win win
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,389
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SimonSays wrote: »
    I'll stick with KLM, less risky and a quick trip to Amsterdam so its win win

Always sticking with KLM is unlikely to be win-win. For my personal travel I've never, ever come across a quote for a trip I'm taking where KLM has been cheapest. Depending on where/when you travel they may be cheapest for you a lot of the time, but are unlikely to be all the time.
  • richardw
    Forumite
    Btw Klm are sardining, their long haul aircraft are changing from 3-3-3 seating to 3-4-3.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I always thought that a 'stopover' is when you actually stop and enter the country for a few days at the transit point, on the way to your final destination, which usually adds to the ticket price. And this question is about flights involving a transfer or 'layover' between flights on a long-haul route, remaining in transit at the airport. It's well known that this kind of ticket is nearly always cheaper than flying direct or non-stop to your destination, with extended layover time or other inconvenience tending to reduce the price further.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • richardw
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    ....this question is about flights involving a transfer or 'layover' between flights on a long-haul route, remaining in transit at the airport.....

There are cheaper prices if you are prepared to risk 2 separate airlines, ie easyJet to Zurich and flydubai onward to Dubai.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    richardw wrote: »
    There are cheaper prices if you are prepared to risk 2 separate airlines, ie easyJet to Zurich and flydubai onward to Dubai.
    Ah yes, this could come under 'other inconvenience', the risk you mention plus the hassle of immigration, baggage reclaim, checking in again, immigration again, security...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • SimonSays
    SimonSays Posts: 716 Forumite
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Always sticking with KLM is unlikely to be win-win. For my personal travel I've never, ever come across a quote for a trip I'm taking where KLM has been cheapest. Depending on where/when you travel they may be cheapest for you a lot of the time, but are unlikely to be all the time.

For me they have been, Helps the girlfriend works for them
    richardw wrote: »
    Btw Klm are sardining, their long haul aircraft are changing from 3-3-3 seating to 3-4-3.

I wouldn't know. Business class has a 2-2-2 or a 2-2 config.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure