Mortgage Agency Services Number Five Limited - MAS No.5 - Insurance Problems

DO NOT USE... MORTGAGE AGENCY SERVICES NUMBER FIVE (not that most people were given a choice).

Not to blow my own trumpet - but I do have an excellent credit rating, and have never missed a payment with MAS or anyone else for that matter, but I have STILL had problems with MAS Plymouth Branch.

At approximately the time the rates dropped around 2007 MAS No.5 decided that they needed to see a copy of all their B2Let mortgage holders insurance policys shedules each year to check the policies were in line with the 'mortgage terms'. Fair enough I thought, although they had never needed to before. However, MAS seem to have neglected to put the necessary administration systems in place to cope with their own demands.

MAS have managed to loose all three of the last Insurance Shedules that the Halifax had faxed over in the last few months. And have lost them in previous years too. This year, this led to MAS setting up an unessary insurance policy on the mortgaged property to 'protect their interests as lenders'. This policy was £15 a month with an apparently non-refundable £40 set up fee (for the dubious 'administration' apparently) which was all shoved onto my mortgage account to accumulate interest.

No supprise, Instead of trying to help and rectify the situation caused by them, MAS just said unless they recived the shedule there was nothing they could do, but they had been faxed it three times!

Luckily I am with th Halifax and they keep VERY good records, and I was able to send proof (by registered letter and also fax in the end - just to make sure) that I had indeed been insured correctly the whole time and ALSO that MAS had lost the documentation sent, not that it had not been sent at all (as they implied). They say they are now refunding me - we shall see, because this will not be the first time MAS No.5 have broken their word over promises made on the phone.

Interestingly the lady at the Halifax informed me that this happens with MAS more than any other company - I do think this is interesting as MAS DO have their own insurance department and DO give quotes for insurance too. It certianly feels as though they were just trying to get more business by keeping an antiquated administration system that means they can say that they do not recive things, and then simply set up policies that it is VERY hard to get cancelled even when the customer is doing all the right things.

I wonder how many people who could not prodice proof from their insurance companies of lost faxes or other problems fall foul of these MAS charges.

You only have search Google for Creditgate.com and look up MORTGAGE AGENCY SERVICES NUMBER FIVE LIMITED (whole words) and you will see how many Directors have resigned recently. Maybe they are all off to form MAS No.6 to re-line their pockets!

They say they don't have e-mail, how strange - but Britannia and Co-Op do ... and as MAS are an agency/subsidary of theirs AND registered under them at the FSA you can complain to them too, or maybe get them to e-mail your insurance shedules on (if anyone else has encountered this insurance problem)... So please do email - if only to get your revenge a little and make Brittania and Co-Op realise thay cannot just keep these types of companies hidden under strange and unusual names with no high street or internet presence. The Co-Op is meant to be ETHICAL! Registered FSA address and registered email below...

New Century House, Corporation Street, Manchester, Lancashire, M60 4ES
44 01538399399
[EMAIL="michael.gill@britannia.co.uk"]michael.gill@britannia.co.uk[/EMAIL]

And yes if anyones wondering - My mortgage was sold to MAS No.5 by GMAC that other wonderful mortgage provider (when MAS was only under the Brittania umbrella).

The above does contains my opinion but all the facts are true and I think speak for themselves.

I hope this helps someone.

Comments

• Oh look there they are - MORTGAGE AGENCY SERVICES NUMBER SIX LIMITED - Same people - they have been set up for ages and waiting to go by the looks of it ...

visit ... worksmart.org.uk/company/company.php?id=049628688

.... Grrr
  • A MAS No.1,2,3,4,5,6,7 Director - (or at least he was) ...

"Phil Lee, BSc, CIPFA, CA., serves as Director of Integration & Change of Co-operative Bank plc. Mr. Lee serves as an Integration & Change Director of Co-Operative Financial Services Limited. Mr. Lee served as Managing Director of Capital Investment Group of Britannia Building Society since April 2008. Mr. Lee served as Group Finance Director of Britannia Building Society from September 1, 2002 to June 2008 and was responsible for finance, change management, group risk ... management and information systems. Mr. Lee served as Finance Director of West Bromwich Building Society, and he has held senior roles at Bristol & West, Somerfield and Ernst & Young. Mr. Lee serves as an Executive Director of Co-Operative Financial Services Limited, and CIS General Insurance Limited. He has been an Executive Director of Co-operative Bank plc since August 1, 2009. He serves as a Director of Britannia Asset Management Limited, Britannia Building Society Estate Agents Limited, Britannia Building Society Land and Development Company (Midlands) Limited, Britannia Conveyancing Services Limited, Britannia Development and Management Limited, Britannia Estate Agents Limited, Britannia Estate Agents (London) Limited, Britannia Independent Limited, Britannia (Isle of Man) Limited, Britannia LAS Direct Limited, Britannia Lending Company Limited, Britannia Life Direct Limited, Britannia Motor Insurances Limited, Britannia New Homes Limited, Britannia Overseas Limited, Britannia Pension Investment Limited, Britannia Shield Conveyancing Services Limited, Britannia Shield Financial Services Limited, Britannia Shield Property Services Limited, Britannia Treasury Services Limited, Findprior Limited, Mornington Information Technology Services Limited, Mortgage Agency Services Number One Limited, Mortgage Agency Services Number Two Limited, Mortgage Agency Services Number Four Limited, Mortgage Agency Services Number Five Limited, Mortgage Agency Services Number Six Limited, Mortgage Agency Services Number Seven Limited, PCSL Services No. 1 Limited, PCSL Services No. 2 Limited, Platform Consumer Services Limited, Platform Funding Limited, Platform Funding No. 2 Limited, Platform Funding No. 3 Limited, Platform Funding No. 4 Limited, Platform Funding No. 5 Limited, Platform Funding No. 6 Limited, Platform Group Holdings Limited, Platform Home Loans Limited, Plum Sterling Number 1 PLC, The Mortgage Agency PLC, Verso Limited and Western Mortgage Services Limited. Mr. Lee serves as a trustee of the Society’s pension scheme. Mr. Lee served as a Director of Britannia Building Society since September 1, 2002." [Bloomsberg Buisness Week. Jan 27th 2011].

Where do they get the time ...
  • Many thanks for this information, I have been having the same problems with the MAS no 5 in Plymouth they have now said they still have not received my Insurance details that have been faxed to them 3 times and yes I am insured through Halifax.

Halifax have confirmed that the faxes have been sent with dates and times, After a few phone calls and still getting nowhere and being told that they can assure me that they have not lost or ignore faxes. I have even said that there is obviously a problem as others have reported these issues I was told "You shouldn't believe everything you read" (Nice customer services) I even asked for a manager to speak to as nothing was getting done and I was the one that was being charged £40.00 admin fee and £23.67 per month for insurance I don't need or asked for.

Any help of where I can go to next for this to be resolved.
  • Has anyone else - who has a mortgage with MAS no 5 - received a letter in the last few days saying their mortgage interest has increased, or am I just the lucky one?
  • K_Jones
    K_Jones Posts: 9 Forumite
    I had a letter yesterday, stating that their standard variable rate will increase to 5.75% from tomorrow.

I used to be with GMAC and since they sold off my mortgage to MAS I have had problems. At least twice a year I have to spend 5 months on writing complaints. Just this week I had to lodge 2 separate complaints, which i am hoping to take all the way to Financial Ombusman.

Having read up on them I think we should all join in and try to do something about their poor service and rising SVR.
  • Same here - Having never missed a payment in 5 years and having to put up with their unreasonable rate rises several times now, I have made a complaint to the FO - if you haven't contacted them yet, I urge you to do so.

And yes, very happy to join forces as am keen to know about the court rulings in the past about GMAC and the current one regarding the legality of selling us onto MAS 5 - does anyone have any information about this as I can't find anything other than what is mentioned on these forums?

K_Jones wrote: »
    I had a letter yesterday, stating that their standard variable rate will increase to 5.75% from tomorrow.

I used to be with GMAC and since they sold off my mortgage to MAS I have had problems. At least twice a year I have to spend 5 months on writing complaints. Just this week I had to lodge 2 separate complaints, which i am hoping to take all the way to Financial Ombusman.

Having read up on them I think we should all join in and try to do something about their poor service and rising SVR.
  • BurnsMoney
    BurnsMoney Posts: 5 Forumite
    Yes - Same letter received about the % rate hike - it seems not 6 months go by without one, despite no change to the base rate! I am going to escape this company as soon as I can! Sarahlou ... just to say - I did actually get a letter from them (believe it or not, saying sorry for the mix up's). So you can believe me... I did eventually get a refund too, so it does pay to make a fuss. Yes - My mortgage was sold to MAS from GMAC :( . I thought The Co-Op and Britannia were ment to be the ethical banks! It would be good if somone could start an awareness campaign on F.book or somthing to highlight awareness of these companies existance (hiding under these so called 'ethical company umberellas').
  • cgsac
    cgsac Posts: 23 Forumite
    I am currently in battle with them about the compulsory insurance and charges (£40 plus a monthly sum).

Has anyone checked the legality of forcing us to take out their policy? I never wanted it, and sent details of my policy in Oct which they claim is insufficient sot hen hit me with it.

is it legal?

Does anyone have a name to hound for info and progress on fighting this?
  • cgsac wrote: »
    I am currently in battle with them about the compulsory insurance and charges (£40 plus a monthly sum).

Has anyone checked the legality of forcing us to take out their policy? I never wanted it, and sent details of my policy in Oct which they claim is insufficient sot hen hit me with it.

is it legal?

Does anyone have a name to hound for info and progress on fighting this?

If it has been going on since October, I suggest you take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

If the loan is a buy to let, they may argue that it is outside FOS jurisdiction so make clear it is the INSURANCE, not the loan you are complaining about.
  • K_Jones
    K_Jones Posts: 9 Forumite
    Is there any news on this issue as yet? Just to update everyone, despite submitting evidence to the ajusticator, they ruled against me, but the case is now going all the way to Financial Ombudsman. Not worried, as the evidence is there, but apparently it takes about 13 months to come to a decision. I would strongly advise anyone with a complaint to contact financial ombudsman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure