Inappropriate reading book (in my opinion)

Comments

• pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Noughts and Crosses and the sequels are very well written books and touch on many controversial social topics but they are challenging in content and more suited to secondary aged young people. I read them as an adult, as did my adolescent children and thought they were incredible books. I wonder if OPs child's teacher has actually read the books?

Malorie Blackman has won many awards, including an OBE for her services to children's literature and is currently Waterstone's Children's Laureate.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    At this age introducing sex via a reading book might be a good idea, however in my opinion the domestic violence/rape is a step way too far.

I would be speaking to the head. I think if they were going to do this parents should have been informed beforehand and given the opportunity to opt out.

Not the same but my seven year olds class will be watching a film that ties in with the subject they are currently learning. The film is a PG and I had to sign a letter to give my permission he could watch it, the children who are not given permission will not be able to watch.
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    What a shame you won't let your daughter read it. It's a terrific book which has deserved all the awards and acclaim it has received which a fantastic message about racism and prejudice. The sequel is excellent too. The world is a harsh place for a lot of people - even 11 year olds in other parts of the world. I don't think an intelligent child of of daughter's age should be too young to learn that and discuss it with her teacher and classmates
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would have been very surprised that DD could access such a book in primary school and would have just a quick word to her teacher to ask if it was an error or whether the school had considered it appropriate.

Depending on the response, I would have asked the Headteacher to know under which principle it had been assessed as appropriate for under 12 reading.
  • ecgirl07
    ecgirl07 Posts: 662 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Just read the Amazon blurb/revies which reads as a different book to the one you have described... the main theme of the book is racism? You should ask to see the scheme of work before rushing judgement.
  • iammumtoone
    lika_86 wrote: »
    Because not every relationship is good and great and teaching children to recognise those that aren't acceptable is a great lesson.

At secondary school yes I agree but some of these children are 10 years old
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Although I've not read it myself I believe the book is much acclaimed as a novel for young adults. It is a similar story to Romeo and Juliet/ West Side Story so involves elements of race as well as the family, politics, relationships, violence etc.

I think it's aimed more at the early years of secondary school so maybe the school believes that (academically) they are challenging their Year 6 pupils.

I would have a discussion with the Headteacher. From what you say OP while your DD might be academically capable of the reading level she's not yet ready for the 'adult' nature of the book.

It's a dilemma for the school as no parent has ever complained, for instance, about elements of secondary mathematics being introduced in Year 6.
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    ecgirl07 wrote: »
    Just read the Amazon blurb/revies which reads as a different book to the one you have described... the main theme of the book is racism? You should ask to see the scheme of work before rushing judgement.

It is. It's about a world with apartheid where black people are the rulers. The sequels are set a few years later as the system is coming to an end. The leading characters are from different races and do have sex but it's certainly not the focus of the book.
  • ecgirl07
    ecgirl07 Posts: 662 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It is. It's about a world with apartheid where black people are the rulers. The sequels are set a few years later as the system is coming to an end. The leading characters are from different races and do have sex but it's certainly not the focus of the book.

A quick look on tes resources suggests its a ks3 teaching resource, is the class an advance class?
  • iammumtoone

It won't be the focus of the book to an adult reading it, or an older child. BUT it will be to a 10/11 year old reading and to their parents.

I would be questioning to the head whether they or any of the teachers have actually read it and why they feel it is appropriate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure