tasticz Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I voted out because I got fed up of these EE blocking my driveway lol
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The troubling thing for the country's future is that the generation who voted for this won't have to live with the consequences. The youth may well, over time, up sticks and become economic migrants themselves, now wouldn't that be an irony.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Daniel54 wrote: »
    Parliament is obliged to hold a debate on any formal petition with over 100k signatures
    Daniel54 wrote: »
    and I would like the house of commons to debate this petition,which they are now obliged to do.

You need to read up on how the petition system works.
    The government are not obliged to have a debate for any petition irrespective of it reaching 100k signatures.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/help
    How petitions work

5.At 10,000 signatures you get a response from the government.
    6.At 100,000 signatures your petition will be considered for a debate in Parliament.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    United we stand, divided we fall ........

Aesop’s The Bundle of Sticks

This short fable tells of a man whose sons often quarrel among themselves. To show them the benefit of working together, he brings them a bundle of sticks. He asks them to break the bundle of sticks. As expected, the brothers cannot break the sticks when they are together. However, they can easily be broken individually. The moral of this story is written:
    My sons, if you are of one mind, and unite to assist each other, you will be as this bundle, uninjured by all the attempts of your enemies; but if you are divided among yourselves, you will be broken as easily as these sticks.
    How very true - as the politicians are learning to their cost.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    tasticz wrote: »
    I voted out because I got fed up of these EE blocking my driveway lol

Well, at least you are honest - more than can be said of so many of our politicians :D
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2016 at 1:04PM
    Options
    The backtracking so far is stupendous:
    Within minutes Farage on breakfast TV saying the 350 milllion cannot be spent on the NHS now (as plastered on the bus) and that was never his promise.
    Very prominent leave MEP Hannan on Newsnight saying we never promised any numbers on immigration and joining the free trade area means we will still have free movement of labour.
    Javid on Marr show refused to say there would now be the recession he predicted during the campaign or all the terrible consequences he promised from a leave vote... because he's going to prevent it by talking to a lot of business people.

And politicians wonder why they have an image problem?
  • Missus_Hyde
    Missus_Hyde Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 June 2016 at 1:10PM
    Options
    Hardly.

52% of 72% is 37% - not what most of us call a majority.

If we're being picky about it, that's still more than 48% of 72% = 34% so is therefore a majority vote.

As for the 28% that didn't vote for whatever reason, that's their prerogative, but they can hardly complain if they don't get the result they were hoping for.
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    I think many of the electorate are being swayed by the pollsters. At first I thought the pollsters had it wrong, but on reflection I'm not so sure.

Initially it was thought Remain would win. Then the week before the vote it looked like Leave would win. Finally in the run up to the vote it appeared Remain would win reasonably comfortably. I think that led many to believe they could register a protest vote knowing that we would safely stay in.

It's my view that, at the outset, a number of Tory Leavers had the same thoughts. They thought that Remain would win but wanted to give DC a bit of a kicking in a protest style. I'm not so sure they anticipated a victory and all the turmoil Leave entails. If they had there would be better sense of planning, which now seems to have not been the case.

It currently feels a bit like one of those team building games or something from the Apprentice where the participants are given a project with little or no prior knowledge and they have to make the best of it.

The electorate might be able to say 'Your Fired' if it does not work out, however, by then the damage will be done and will take a very long time to repair.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    BucksLady wrote: »
    United we stand, divided we fall ........

Very true and a timely reminder in these troubled times.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    Presumably they can carry on subsidising as before and still have some change left over. Politicians aren't entirely stupid, they know it isn't a blank sheet of paper and let's start from scratch.

The rationale for funding, who qualifies, the controls for release of funds based on schedule, milestones and standards are not just something you take over.

What am I saying? They will do what they always do. Subcontract it to G4S, who then hire minimum wage school leavers with GCSE French, who don't even know how to call their counter part in Brussels to ask how it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure