The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Comments

• lm07
    lm07 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Not sure if this is best thread to post when it's not a bargain but is related to shopping and might be useful if you purchase this...

I purchased Ribenas' Strawberry Squash (have done for many years) and noticed the bottle shape was different. I then compared it to my last bottle and found it is now longer 1 litre; it's been reduced to 850ml! :eek: Anyone else noticed this?

Cost was £2.50 in Sainsburys (if I recall correct the 1L was around the £2 mark give or take). Feel a bit cheated when a product size is reduced and yet pricing appears to not be adjusted. :(

Couldn't see anything else about this on MSE and an internet search.
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Same with the normal Ribena. 2 litres reduced to 1.5 litres, 1 litre to 850ml but price still kept the same.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Looks we are heading to another product shrink with the same price.

I noticed when i was in Tesco, Morrison and Sainsbury today that Mr Kipling individual cake packs, the ones that they make so you can put in an individual cake in a lunchbox are having a size change.

Looks like its going to be only 4 cakes for the same price across the whole range.

You can still by the 6 packs at the moment.

There is a good bargain offer at the moment of a 9 pack for £1.50 in Sainsburys
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Shopper_99
    Shopper_99 Posts: 14 Forumite
    I do think that in most cases this is done so that the price can stay the same (or decrease!) year on year despite inflation. Customers are much more sensitive to price increases than the size of the packet.

A lot of the people on this thread seem to be are making out that supermarkets are scamming us rather than just adjusting quantities and prices to keep the best price / quantity balance.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Shopper_99 wrote: »
    I do think that in most cases this is done so that the price can stay the same (or decrease!) year on year despite inflation. Customers are much more sensitive to price increases than the size of the packet.

A lot of the people on this thread seem to be are making out that supermarkets are scamming us rather than just adjusting quantities and prices to keep the best price / quantity balance.

I suppose that there are some people who think it's really good of the SMs to keep prices stable and kindly adjust the size to help customers. That's what the SMs tell us anyway.

Unfortunately, they're wrong. Customers don't want that, they feel conned and patronised which is one of the reasons why they've voted with their feet in such numbers and gone to Aldi and Lidl and big SM profits are down. Maybe if they hadn't been so greedy in the first place they wouldn't have lost so much custom.
  • randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    went to buy the value frozen stir fry and noticed that the ticket size said 750gm but the pack size was only 500gm. questioned it and the ticket hadn't been changed. so 250gm less for the same price of £1. went and bought the fresh stuff instead.
  • Noticed today that these products have been 'right sized' to 80 bags per box from the previous 100. As always the price has not been 'right sized'. So in this age of near zero inflation that is a 25% increase.

Are they trying to usurp the payday lenders?
    [strike]Debt @ LBM 04/07 £14,804[/strike]01/08 [strike]£10,472[/strike]now debt free:j

Target: Stay debt free
  • Broadwood
    Broadwood Posts: 706 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didn't realise til we were putting the shopping away, but when did Unilever reduce the size of ICBINB from 500g to 400g? Or is the 400g size special to Lidl?

I see on their website that the ICBINB -Light must have been reduced in size for a while but the normal blend is still showing as 500g here. Just scroll down to "FROM OUR RANGE".
    Never trust a financial institution.

Still studying at the University of Life.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I was on MyCoupons when I realised that Walls Ice Cream now appears to be 1.8l instead of 2l.

I only buy it once in a blue moon but anyway, another odd size, just like the 1.75l bottles of fizzy drinks.
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 November 2015 at 3:04AM
    Not shrinking food, but Fairy Liquid sizes have shrunk since I bought my last bottle. Evidently, they've done this before. They're now 500ml, 780ml & 820ml.

The best VFM I've found is 820ml for £1.49 at Poundstretcher.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback