less than 20m walking for pip

Options
Iam reading this right you can be able to walk 200m and still get The Enhanced rate of the mobility component every one goes on about having to be able to walk less then 20m in order to be given The Enhanced rate of the mobility component but this is not true. Or am I missing something.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What are you reading? You need to score 12 points for the enhanced rate, so if you can stand and move more than 200m aided or unaided which is zero points, then you would have to score 12 points on the planning/ following journeys descriptor instead.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • john240870
    Options
    so yes I did read it right which everyone would stop saying you have to walk less then 20m to get the Enhanced rate of the mobility as this is not true
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The way the DWP are interpreting the rules makes it very difficult to get the 12 points on the planning/navigating though, and that is what people tend to mean when they are referring to it.

https://medium.com/adviser/applying-the-pip-mobility-descriptors-81dc09c314af
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    john240870 wrote: »
    so yes I did read it right which everyone would stop saying you have to walk less then 20m to get the Enhanced rate of the mobility as this is not true
    Elsien is correct, it's extremely difficult to get Enhanced mobility on the following and planning a journey part.
  • john240870
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Elsien is correct, it's extremely difficult to get Enhanced mobility on the following and planning a journey part.
    But not imposable
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    john240870 wrote: »
    But not imposable
    No one said it was impossible. My daughter has just been awarded Enhanced mobility for following and planning a journey. She's never been out alone because she doesn't have the capacity to do so.

If you're claiming for reasons other than Psychological distress, then you maybe in with a chance, providing you have evidence.
  • Akahotpot
    Akahotpot Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    its if you can walk the distance safely ,if you trip and fall the distance does not come into it
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its also not just the ability to physically move from point A to point B (despite the fact mostvassessors and decision makers tend to forget this)

Yes someone may be able to 'walk' more than 20m or even 200m, but it depends on whether they can do so safely, and without pain, needing to stop, falling, time taken, etc etc.

I cant take a single step without increasing already severe constant pain I have at rest. I move slowly, have limited ability to bend my knee, and walk using an aid.

Im therefore considered to be unable to walk 20m,despite the fact that in order to function on a daily basis, i.e go to work, I have to walk in excess of 20m to get to my desk.

The problem is that the DWP and their assessors continually fail to adhere to the legislation, and simply make decisions based on distance travelled alone which is incorrect.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think that the more important question is :
    Does the assessor test your mobility using an aid (such as a splint) or without one ?
    I have asked DWP this question several times in the past and never have received a definite reply......
    For myself (and many other people) can walk (virtually) any distance with a splint on - but struggle to walk even 50 yards without one ..
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I think that the more important question is :
    Does the assessor test your mobility using an aid (such as a splint) or without one ?
    I have asked DWP this question several times in the past and never have received a definite reply......
    For myself (and many other people) can walk (virtually) any distance with a splint on - but struggle to walk even 50 yards without one ..

I’m sure they test you with, I know they trstednmy brother in law with his artificial leg on and using his crutches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure