Changing linked account on Birmingham Midshires Internet Saver

Options
For a new Internet Saver I have to send in a cheque from my nominated linked current account. Once fully operational, can I then change the linked account to a current a/c that does not have a cheque book?

I read the posts in another thread about this but they were mostly opinions on the t's & c's rather the what actually has been found to be the case. One helpful post said that they had changed their linked a/c with no cheque being asked for but did not say whether this was done online or by phone - also a cheque could have been asked for by letter at a later date..

I've just received the letter confirming my a/c number and that no further id documents are required. The cheque requested is stated as being to validate the Linked Account (so apparently NOT for ID purposes?).

In the t's & c's there is no mention of the linked a/c needing to have a cheque book...

"• linked account is an account that you nominate to make and receive transfers by electronic payment to and from your Birmingham Midshires internet or telephone account. It must be an account in your name(s) held with a bank or building society which is part of the United Kingdom clearing system.

3.11 You can change your linked account by giving us instructions over the telephone, online or by post. It will take ten bank working days from us receiving your instructions to complete the change so that you can transfer funds to and from your linked account.

3.12 Where your linked account is a current account and we are notified by a UK banking industry payment scheme such as the Current Account Switch Service that you have switched your current account to another bank we will update your instruction with the new sort code and account number to make sure that your payment reaches the correct account within the agreed timescales.

6.10 We can also refuse to carry out a transaction if you tell us that you want to change the account that is your linked account until we have had time to verify the details of your new linked account (see condition 3.10)".

... although I suppose the "verify" in 6.10 could mean that a cheque could be requested???

Interestingly the on-line FAQ's only seem to mention being able to change the linked a/c by telephone...

"How can I change my Linked Account?
To change your Linked Account, call us on 0345 602 2828 (lines are open 8am-8pm, Monday to Saturday). Your Linked Account must be able to receive payments through the Faster Payments Service.
If you change your Linked Account, it will take 10 bank working days to set up your new Linked Account. During this time, you'll be unable to make any deposits into your account. You'll also be unable to make any withdrawals for 5 bank working days".

... so also no mention about the new Linked Account needing a cheque book.

Please can someone who has changed their Linked Account and subsequently taken a direct debit successfully give a definitive answer on this.

Comments

• clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    .bump

Anyone?
  • skitskut
    skitskut Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    I changed my linked account in 2014 to the Halifax and I'm pretty sure I didn't have to produce a cheque (I don't think I even have a cheque book for it). I'll let you know for definite tomorrow.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Birmingham Midshires Direct Debit was set up on my Cooperative Bank Account with letter from B.M confirming Linked Account set up whilst I was waiting to get a Cheque Book from Cooperative Bank.:)
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Birmingham Midshires Direct Debit was set up on my Cooperative Bank Account with letter from B.M confirming Linked Account set up whilst I was waiting to get a Cheque Book from Cooperative Bank.:)

... but you can't do anything with the BM account yet.

The DD confirmation letter was the first I received closely followed by the one asking for a cheque. I sent the cheque last Friday and today received the email with my Access Token but I still need to wait up to 5 working days for my welcome letter giving me my username.

The DD mandate has already appeared on my linked account but it will probably be a another week until I'll be able to log into my BM account to do anything.
  • skitskut
    skitskut Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    skitskut wrote: »
    Hi,
    I changed my linked account in 2014 to the Halifax and I'm pretty sure I didn't have to produce a cheque (I don't think I even have a cheque book for it). I'll let you know for definite tomorrow.

Yep. I was able to change my linked account without ever needing to send them a cheque from it. Withdrawals and deposits have been working fine.

I normally FP money in rather than requesting it through the linked account though as it's quicker.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    I normally FP money in rather than requesting it through the linked account though only from the linked one ?as it's quicker.

I didn't realise you could credit funds direct to a BM Internet Saver by Faster Payment - thought it had to be Direct Debit from the linked account.

If FPs are accepted, presumably it can be from any external account, and not only the linked one ?

Can you confirm the sort code is 20-97-78, account 00968773, followed by Internet Saver account number as reference ?

Thanks.
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options

Can you confirm the sort code is 20-97-78, account 00968773, followed by Internet Saver account number as reference ?

Yes...

http://www.birminghammidshires.co.uk/existing-savers/managing-your-account/general-account-management/?WT.ac=BMESMYAGAM3#bank-details
  • Robin47
    Options
    Birmingham Midshires
    I am in the process of opening an account following the MSE item about it but I have to say it is strange and alarming the amount of time it takes to send a user name so you can activate your account. In these days of scams the time they take causes stress and worry particularly as they say five working days when they mean ten and they say they send it out by first class post and they don't, they apparently use UK mail.
    During this time you have no access to your account.
    My deposit was taken from my bank on the 7th November and I am still waiting for this letter.
    Very unhappy about it and have complained.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 November 2017 at 3:26PM
    Options
    Robin47 wrote: »
    Birmingham Midshires
    I am in the process of opening an account following the MSE item about it but I have to say it is strange and alarming the amount of time it takes to send a user name so you can activate your account. In these days of scams the time they take causes stress and worry particularly as they say five working days when they mean ten and they say they send it out by first class post and they don't, they apparently use UK mail.
    During this time you have no access to your account.
    My deposit was taken from my bank on the 7th November and I am still waiting for this letter.
    Very unhappy about it and have complained.

I hope they don't give you your £1 back forthwith.. or return your uncashed cheque - with a note telling you that they've declined your application.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    BM advised me that it was taking between 7 and 10 days for outgoing mail to be delivered to customers.

I was more than a bit skeptical at first - sounded like an easy "get out of jail" excuse - however, a month earlier an Ebay order from that part of the country took nearly two weeks to arrive, so perhaps there is an issue with Royal Mail ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure