Reclaiming the Tech Pack from Barclays

Hi All,

Years ago when i opened my Barclays current account it had a £5 fee per month for phone insurance which was fine. However some time ago they stopped the £5 fee and made the account "free" but then put me on a Tech Pack which is £10 a month.

I am just wondering if there is anyway i can try to reclaim this? I have looked on resolver and it doesnt mention the tech pack at all so i cant use that site sadly.

Does anyone know where i would need to go to put a complain in? is there a dedicated Barclays email for this?

Thanks!

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Go to their website.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Address is here

https://www.help.barclays.co.uk/faq/making-a-complaint/how-do-i-make-a-complaint-.html

Depending how long "years ago" is, you may be time-barred from complaint as you have 6 years from taking out the product and 3 years from knowing you had a reason to complain (whichever is longer) in order to complain. Moving onto a more expensive package and getting a welcome letter explaining the cost and benefit would trigger that 3 year clock.

Essentially if you moved from £5 a month to £10 a month if you were unhappy then complaining at the time gives you credibility, complaining years later after having the account benefits looks like a try it on.

Not to say the bank won't pay out of course, just being realistic
  • Normally they'd only give you the money back if it was mis-sold to you.

They've just done a similar bunch of account migrations from their old Additions range of accounts. Changing people to packs that give them a similar level of cover at a similar cost where possible. They'll have been notifying people about it for months in advance to give them time to work out what they want to do. If you agreed to the initial packaged bank account and you don't feel that was missold, then I don't think you'd be likely to succeed in claiming the tech pack fees back. I also don't know how much if at all you've claimed on the tech pack.

Essentially I'd say you're out of luck, but you have the full facts, not me, so I might be wrong. Best advice is to call them, ask them to remove it if you don't want it, then if you have time ask them to log a miselling complaint if you think you qualify. Won't cost you anything but time, I'd just think it's unlikely to get anywhere.
  • Barclays has slowly removed all of its Package Bank Accounts from the market.

They stopped selling them to new customers years ago but over recent years they have began removing them from existing customers who have them. If you were paying £5.00 per month you were probably on their Current Account Plus service which only offered mobile insurance.

I had their Additional Plus which was £15 a month but i got mobile and gadget insurance, will writing, travel insurance, breakdown cover etc. I thought it was value for what I was paying, but thanks to the Package Bank Account (MIs-Selling) bandwagon to come of the back of the PPI issues, all banks seem to be moving away from these Packaged Accounts. Effectively those who liked the accounts they were paying for are being penalised due to the number of people claiming they were mis-sold them.

When they downgraded your account to a standard with a Tech Pack, they issue a letter, I think, if memory serves, I got mine in August 2015 telling me i would be downgraded and moved to the Tech and Travel Pack in January 2016. It then went onto explain how they work and any duel pack discounts i would get, but also said how i could opt out of paying it if i didnt want the packs. It also stressed that the packs were optional and not a requirement to maintaining an account with them. I would imagine they did the same when they did the same to yours.

Long and short of it is, your unlikely to get the money back by claiming you were unaware of the change cos they will prove they sent you advanced notice. You may get it back tho if you have no mobiles/gadgets registered and you don't have an overdraft that you have used, as you wont have benefited from the service. (the packs give you the first £200.00 of your OD interest/daily fee free so if you have used the OD and not incurred charges, they could say you have benefited from having it).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure