PAYE sent self assessment???

My partner was sent a self assessment form months ago and we disguarded it assuming the tax people had made a mistake, I have sinse been talking to my dad who is also PAYE and he said he had to file self assessment last year.

Can anyone help? do you have to fill out self assessment if you are PAYE and not self employed? if so why?
Running total for swagbucks - £270 since Jan
Running total for superpoints -

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, people who are PAYE can have to fill in tax forms. Why? could be various reasons I guess but I have worked with lots of PAYE people who've completed self assessment. I hope someone else can answer that bit, I'll have a look around though!
  • Murtle
    Q.Who does Self Assessment apply to?

A. Self Assessment applies to:

self employed people including business partners
    company directors
    other people with more complicated tax affairs including people who pay higher rate tax
    pensioners with more complex tax affairs
    people who received rent or other income from land and property in the UK
    trustees and personal representatives
    trustees of approved self-administered pension schemes
    non-resident company landlords

taken from http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/faqs/general.htm

does any of this apply?
  • Murtle I'm so greatful for a reply considering I think I posted in the wrong forum.
    I also found the info on the hmrc website and none of the above apply so I'm even more bamboozled
    Running total for swagbucks - £270 since Jan
    Running total for superpoints -

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Murtle
    I would suggest getting the paperwork together to send off and phone them up when they are open to ask why he has to. However, as they have sent one, if it's not returned there will be a fine to pay. However, if everything has been PAYE, then it should be fairly straight forward to complete. Again, the inland revenue people will be able to help, they are a nice bunch on the other end of the phone and have always been really helpful when I've phoned them.

Good luck.
  • Bordera
    Bordera Posts: 307 Forumite
    Self assesment applies to absolutely anyone.

Murtle's excellent list is of the type of people who can expect to receive a self assesment form every year.

We are ALL within self assesment, in that it is up to each person to know what has to be reported to HM Revenue and Customs and when and to ensure that the correct amount of tax is paid each year. This applies even if you are NOT sent a self assesment form.

It may be that your partner's income is nearing or is just over the higher rate tax threshold and the return is issued to see if (s)he has any investment income that will be taxable at 40% in future.

Investment income is usually only taxed at one of the lower tax rates when you get it so additional tax is sometimes due, eg another 20% on bank interest.

Is it a full (10+ pages) return or a short 4 page version? The 31 January deadline applies to both of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure