unpaid case - ebay

Options
Is the unpaid case automatic on ebay or does the seller have to instigate it?

Thanks

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless the seller has the unpaid assistant set up, then it needs to be done manually.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 October 2017 at 5:31PM
    Options
    thank you I had a bid on ending on late Sat night I completely forgot about it until now, just been to check I won but already have an unpaid case against me :(

Its a private seller, business I would understand they sell loads of items so don't have time to communicate individually but as a private seller a quick message first would have been polite.

I normally pay straight away once I realise I need to but I might leave this one for a while now, I am in that kind of mood today.

Puts on tin hat waiting to be berated that I should keep a better check but life gets in the way and the case was opened first thing this morning, that's not a lot of grace given.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately some sellers (and buyers) forget they are dealing with other humans who occasionally make mistakes.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thank you I had a bid on ending on late Sat night I completely forgot about it until now, just been to check I won but already have an unpaid case against me :(

Its a private seller, business I would understand they sell loads of items so don't have time to communicate individually but as a private seller a quick message first would have been polite.

I normally pay straight away once I realise I need to but I might leave this one for a while now, I am in that kind of mood today.

Puts on tin hat waiting to be berated that I should keep a better check but life gets in the way and the case was opened first thing this morning, that's not a lot of grace given.

eBay encourage sellers to open INRs quite quickly, and one can be opened 2 days after auction ends. eBay also push the seller to sign up for the automatic system. Lastly, eBay seem to discourage sellers from continually reminding buyers to pay and instead remind buyer themselves, you should have had an automatic reminder on or around the 48 hour mark.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Why are you making such an issue of this? Just pay and job done. Stop taking an automated system personally!
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thank you I had a bid on ending on late Sat night I completely forgot about it until now, just been to check I won but already have an unpaid case against me :(.

As I said, the unpaid assistant does it if set up - there is no difference in whether it is a private or business seller, so don't take it personally.

FWIW I think private sellers have LESS time than business sellers sometime as they have NORMAL jobs!
    I normally pay straight away once I realise I need to but I might leave this one for a while now, I am in that kind of mood today..

I get your mood but I don't understand the delay in paying. Either pay or don't. But don't delay, and certainly don't delay because of your mood.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Marcon wrote: »
    Why are you making such an issue of this? Just pay and job done. Stop taking an automated system personally!

Thats why I asked the questing in the first place, was the system automated. The reply was its not unless the seller specifically states thats what they want to happen.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    FWIW I think private sellers have LESS time than business sellers sometime as they have NORMAL jobs!

Clearly this person had plenty enough time to open a case practically to the second it can be done.

Like I said I will admit to being in a mood today (lack of sleep) I would probably not let it annoy so much another day, I am sure I will feel different tomorrow.

I haven't paid yet but I will do, I always do, normally straight away once I realise I have won.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    eBay encourage sellers to open INRs quite quickly, and one can be opened 2 days after auction ends. eBay also push the seller to sign up for the automatic system. Lastly, eBay seem to discourage sellers from continually reminding buyers to pay and instead remind buyer themselves, you should have had an automatic reminder on or around the 48 hour mark.

Yes I opened a message to an automatic reminder on the Monday night, nothing wrong it that, they were right I needed reminding, then a case opened this morning.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I opened a message to an automatic reminder on the Monday night, nothing wrong it that, they were right I needed reminding, then a case opened this morning.

I have to admit that as a seller I don't really even think about it. You say yourself that you had a reminder, plus you would have notification when you won I don't see why I need to send anything else before I open an INR.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure