Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

County Council work's Pension enquiries

Options
My works pension runs for ten years, In april there are new pension
rules applying, will it be possible to withdraw the rest of my pension
as a lump sum

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    will it be possible to withdraw the rest of my pension

No. Its a pension not a savings account.

Only when you get into the retirement age range do options then start to apply to you (55+)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ajt121
    Options
    I also have a local government pension which was frozen when I left 9 years ago. My pension is payable when I am 60 (3 year's time). I only work part-time due to health issues and am starting to use up my savings to live on. My question is, which option is best -
    a) continue to use my savings (at the moment in an ISA paying 2.75%) or
    b) apply to my previous employer to draw down some of my pension pot?
    thanks
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 February 2015 at 12:41PM
    Options
    You do not have a "pension pot" nor is it frozen, you have a deferred final salary pension increasing each year with inflation. You can not draw down some of the pension. You can start taking the pension after 55 with a reduction at the discretion of your former employer, there may be some reduced reduction if in serious ill health. You need to look at your scheme information or contact them for the details.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure