PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Removing static from clothes

Sorry if this has been asked countless times before, I couldn't find anything on the search function.

I've got a couple of dresses that develop so much static that by mid-morning they're completely stuck to my legs.

I've tried spraying them with a fabric conditioner/water mix and/or hairspray but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas what I can do to keep the bottom of my dress nice and floaty?

Comments

• JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    If the dresses are washable, then fabric conditioner in the final rinse should help. Tights and underwear can also add to the static so these should be rinsed in fabric conditioner too. Some people swear by white vinegar though haven't used it myself.
  • In the old days of vinyl records we used a gun thingie that took the static out of them to get clearer sound. Used to be brilliant for taking the static out of clothes but not sure if they are available nowadays so this post may be totally useless but maybe worth a google.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 October 2017 at 8:43PM
    Run them through a wire coat hanger a couple of times. The hanger absorbs the static.

Some more tips here.

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Static-Cling
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That is quite amazing. Thanks
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Shropshirelass
    Shropshirelass Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 11 October 2017 at 8:59PM
    Rub a little hand cream, or dry soap, on your hands, then wipe your hands on your legs just above the hem line. Or rub a sheet of Bounce just above hem line.
    I have a similar problem with static in my hair. Bounce works for that too.
    Those Wikihow hints look good too!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Awed at the possibilities. Me, I'd have succumbed & worn a slip [assuming the dress was mandatory - I'm definitely a trousers gal], but then it's cold enough in some of our offices to warrant petticoats!
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    melanzana wrote: »
    Run them through a wire coat hanger a couple of times. The hanger absorbs the static.

Some more tips here.

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Static-Cling

Thank you so much, I'll give some of these a try.
    Awed at the possibilities. Me, I'd have succumbed & worn a slip [assuming the dress was mandatory - I'm definitely a trousers gal], but then it's cold enough in some of our offices to warrant petticoats!

The dress isn't mandatory but, being very pear-shaped, I find that fit and flare dresses hide a multitude of sins :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure