Stoozing: Make Free Cash from Credit Cards article discussion

Comments

• techmax76
    techmax76 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a bit confused about stoozing. Its my first time reading about this. In fact I have searched it from Google and it is really making money at 0% introductory rates. How does it happened?
  • CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 June 2009 at 9:04PM
    techmax76 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a bit confused about stoozing. Its my first time reading about this. In fact I have searched it from Google and it is really making money at 0% introductory rates. How does it happened?

Lots of good articles on how it all works here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/stooze-cash-credit-cards and on the stoozing website (supported by MSE) http://www.stoozing.com/g_quickstooz.html

Have a read, any specific questions or queries come back and we'll be able to help. First step is to read the guides.

Answer to most people's first question is "yes, it does work", but with savings interest rates so low there's not massive profits to be made just now. In particular, look into slow stoozing as a relatively safe introduction to the whole thing. If you're comfortable with that then maybe read on it a bit more.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • cuedini
    cuedini Posts: 18 Forumite
    As the best CC companies charge 3% to Super Balance Transfer, the ones recommended to use for stoozing, is it really worth it if you're only going to make £100 off borrowing £3000, when the 3% equates to £90?

Or am I missing something?
  • CannyJock
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cuedini wrote: »
    As the best CC companies charge 3% to Super Balance Transfer, the ones recommended to use for stoozing, is it really worth it if you're only going to make £100 off borrowing £3000, when the 3% equates to £90?

Or am I missing something?

A&L Premier Direct are offering 6% up to £ 2,500. Abbey are offering 6% up to £ 2,500.

You can apply for both of these, split the money between them, make £ 180 on £ 3,000 plus £ 50 if you apply for your A&L account through Quidco, making £ 230 before tax (£ 194 after basic rate tax on the interest).

Whether you consider that worthwhile is up to you. Scale it up with a good credit rating to the point where you're not stoozing £ 3,000 but over £ 60,000 and you can see where it becomes interesting.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • cuedini
    The Virgin card is recommended as the best for these super BT's but on the Virgin website it says the following "No interest free period for balance transfers, credit card cheques, money transfers and cash advances". What does that mean?

Sorry, numpty here.
  • CannyJock
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The Virgin card is recommended as the best for these super BT's but on the Virgin website it says the following "No interest free period for balance transfers, credit card cheques, money transfers and cash advances". What does that mean?

Sorry, numpty here.

That's their standard position for non-purchases outside of promotions. There's still 0% on promotional balance transfers (with a 2.98% fee for balance transfers and 4% fee for super balance transfers).
  • cuedini
    I've cancelled an HSBC credit card, opened a Halifax a/c, applied for a Virgin CC and was going to open First Direct and A&L accounts plus a cashback card...is that too much activity in a short space of time?

Thanks Canny
  • m5rcc
    m5rcc Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've cancelled an HSBC credit card, opened a Halifax a/c, applied for a Virgin CC and was going to open First Direct and A&L accounts plus a cashback card...is that too much activity in a short space of time?

Thanks Canny

Er....yes. All the openings and applications create searches on your credit score, thus impacting it (negatively). Just space them out and just apply for the hell of it.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    cuedini, can I suggest that unless you _really_ know what you are doing then you stay well clear of stoozing for now?
    I'm reasonably experienced with it (came up with the idea myself before I read about it) but aren't doing any at the moment.
    I agree with CannyJock that there are ways of getting the returns that you need, but they are few and far between. Think about the costs of putting right a mistake (e.g. one month's interest at 18% APR).
  • CannyJock
    Combo Breaker First Post
    m5rcc wrote: »
    Er....yes. All the openings and applications create searches on your credit score, thus impacting it (negatively). Just space them out and just apply for the hell of it.

That's okay once you're up and running, but to get started, get started with a blitz. I just kept going till they all said no and got over £ 60K . Better that they see the searches than they see a large amount of available credit :)

Once you've got your pot established, space out ongoing applications to every few months (up to 6 works for me).

Be aware that while blitzing yields the best results IME, it cooks your credit report for a period of time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback