PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Money Saving Expert / CAB pilot service

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 28 November 2012 at 5:37PM in Dealing with debts & debt disputes
Welcome to the Citizens Advice Bureau discussion board which aims to help people get started on selected topics.

Post your queries in the relevant board below and a Citizens Advice representative will aim to answer your question within 2 working days.

If you’re already receiving support and advice from your local CAB, then please continue your discussion with them rather than post on this board.

Please be aware, this type of forum collaboration is new for MSE so it’s currently a trial. We hope it is well used, but as we’ll all be finding our feet, please be patient as it grows.

Citzens Advice has several bureau advisers on this board, based around England & Wales, initially answering questions on four different topics:

· dealing with debts and debt disputes – see board
· housing benefit – see board
· tax credits & benefits for people in work or looking for work – see board
· your basic rights at work and redundancy problems – see board

You’ll recognise a CAB adviser as their username will be displayed in bold purple, eg CAB Malvern Hills representative, and have a special representative signature.

If you have a question about other topics or issues, please see if the Citizens Advice self-help website has the information you need Adviceguide. If you need more help, please contact your local bureau. You can get their details from the CAB directory. Comments on CAB services are always welcome, so please let it know what you think using its Feedback form.

As usual, please report any inappropriate/illegal posts by clicking the Report button in the bottom right corner and don’t reply. The CAB advisers aren’t part of the MSE Forum Team and aren’t there to deal with this so please don’t contact them. This is for their sanity as much as ours!

This board’s for help, not judgement so it’s not the place for discussion about benefits political policy.
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 June 2012 at 6:24PM
    Nice to see the first fruits from the merger?

Should we be extra careful to say in which country the advice applies?!
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Very Interesting!

Can only be good for forum users and the Citizens Advice Bureau.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm afraid I can't see any great benefit to this board. Surely we already have boards covering any topic that is likely to be raised on here, would it not be better for the CAB reps to just monitor the boards in which they have expertise? As it is we're now going to have confusion over whether to post here or on one of the subject specific boards.

The other issue is that we're already seeing non-CAB people answering posts, and we're seeing people who either work or volunteer for CAB but who aren't accredited reps answering. I don't really thing this propositin has been properly thought out.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    How about waiting to see how it pans out before suggesting it will be of no benefit to users?

As said its something MSE are trialling and it means the official reps don't have to trawl through the myriad of threads elsewhere to be answer a question quickly.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As said its something MSE are trialling and it means the official reps don't have to trawl through the myriad of threads elsewhere to be answer a question quickly.
    So far it's not working. The answers are not coming from CAB reps so they will have to trawl through all the posts to determine which question needs to be answered. If normal members get to answer in here then it is just as well being in the consumer rights board.
  • bris
    The timespan is also a disadvantage, if the CAB reps take 48 working hours to answer the posts, then not many are going to hang about for the reply. People come on here for quick advice, it will end up being double posted on here and the consumer rights board.
  • mynameistallulah
    mynameistallulah Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    bris wrote: »
    The timespan is also a disadvantage, if the CAB reps take 48 working hours to answer the posts, then not many are going to hang about for the reply. People come on here for quick advice, it will end up being double posted on here and the consumer rights board.

I've only just seen this board, and posted an answer before seeing this thread. I'd rather help than have someone waiting until Monday. ;)
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 June 2012 at 10:35PM
    Maybe you should only be refered to this forum by the board guides, when answers cannot be found on the main forums ????

I'm not sure that is right, it is a suggestion, but otherwise it will be a free for all.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • bris
    edited 9 June 2012 at 10:10AM
    I've only just seen this board, and posted an answer before seeing this thread. I'd rather help than have someone waiting until Monday. ;)

Yes and it is good advice. But this is a CAB board for CAB reps and should be for official response only. The consumers rights board is there for everybody to reply, and a lot of the time the replies are wrong. The last thing the forum needs is people coming in here and getting different replies on what looks like an official CAB board. It would do the CAB more harm than good .
    Maybe you should only be referred to this forum by the board guides, when answers cannot be found on the main forums ????

I'm not sure that is right, it is a suggestion, but otherwise it will be a free for all.

DD
    This is the way to go, or only official CAB reps should be able to provide the answers. How that can be enforced is the problem that would need addressed.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CAB covers more than consumer rights issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure