Living on savings

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DB pensions? Soz what are they?

Your NHS pension is one example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defined_benefit_pension_plan
  • Many thanks, I hadn't thought of that.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    Interest rates out here, (Australia,) where the money will be kept and drawn down from, are quite good at the moment. I'll have to look at spreading my savings appropriately.

Thanks for this advice.

You can ignore the £85,000 and income tax points, as they are specific to the UK, I've no idea what the position will be in Australia.
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    fatbeetle,

You have asked for any thoughts and advice with respect to your situation. I was in pretty much the same situation although I "retired" at around 50'ish although I can't be precise because I drifted into it rather than it being on a particular day.

The key thing I would keep in mind is not just where to invest your cash to maximise return, but firstly decide whether in your situation risks are are requirement at all. Very few people are fortunate enough in life to have enough cash in retirement to keep a reasonably good lifestyle. For that understandable reason much of the advice given for genuine reasons is how to exceed the dire rates given by banks by taking more speculative and riskier investments because the advice is from people in a different situation to your own. There are a very few fortunate people who have enough cash and very few of these people realise that they need not risk their cash at all simply because they have enough of it already. Many will say "you can never have enough" but actually you can and if you do, then risking it all and fretting about investments and whether they are safe is something you may have the luxury of not needing to do. I only offer this advice because I see people risking all their lifestyle because it didn't occur to them that actually they need not worry about increasing their assets and spend their time worrying about it and managing it. To repeat, very few are in this position but it sounds like you may be, and therefore your main concern should simply be to keep your cash safe and ensure you understand what you are spending.

We have kept a simple spreadsheet with all our "cashable" assets, and every so often I take the current balance and compare that balance over many years ie five or six, simply to judge whether my depletion of my sinking fund is concerning or not. If it isn't then that is that concern over.

Good like and best wishes in your retirement.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Are you taking a deliberate FX position because you believe the AUS$ is more likely to strengthen against GBP than vice versa? If not then I would seriously question the wisdom of holding AUD cash to meet GBP spending just because you can get 1 or 2% more interest.
  • Do not make plans that rely on anticipated inheritances and of course your UK state pension will not be index linked if you live in Australia......so you might want to have some investments that will grow to replace the index linking.

Even if you have enough income it is risky to have zero capital just from a cash flow perspective. Also you say you will have more than enough income from your pensions and super so do you have a plan to invest the excess?

You should also file of one these with HMRC to make sure you receive the NHS and UK state pension free of UK tax.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/452963/aust-indiv2003.pdf
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    The op and his Aus wife are retiring in the UK, so thst would not apply
  • atush wrote: »
    The op and his Aus wife are retiring in the UK, so thst would not apply

OK, then they should look into the UK taxation of Aus superannuation. The points about retiring with capital as well as income and having a plan for investing excess pension income are still worth thinking about.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • ukdw
    ukdw Posts: 281 Forumite
    uk1 wrote: »
    To repeat, very few are in this position but it sounds like you may be, and therefore your main concern should simply be to keep your cash safe and ensure you understand what you are spending.

Slight variation on uk1's suggestion is you could keep your basic living costs for all the years prior to pensions in safe cash, ideally in sterling if you are certain of being uk based - which I suspect could be 70% or less of your lump sum, and then invest or spend the rest as you see fit without having to worry about investment or exchange rate ups and downs.

Also I like the Op's camper van idea - we did the same a few years ago, and whilst they may be a big initial capital outlay, they tend to keep their value remarkably well and massively reduce holiday costs when compared to hotel stays.
  • Triumph13 wrote: »
    Are you taking a deliberate FX position because you believe the AUS$ is more likely to strengthen against GBP than vice versa?

We are basing our assumptions/planning on $1 = 50p, we've estimated on the side of caution.

The exchange rate over the past 10 years can be seen here.
    http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=GBP&view=10Y
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure