ERUDIO student loans help

Comments

• Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My FOS complaint has been passed up to an Ombudsman now as the investigator decided that Erudio could do whatever they wanted as that was their internal system.
  • jnm21
    jnm21 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 August 2017 at 3:50PM
    Lungboy wrote: »
    They will accept a p60, but I don't want to give them that for the same reason I don't want to give them unredacted wage slips: anything other than my gross pay in the 3 months prior to deferment is none of their business.

I think I may be able to help you here - I work in a financial services arena (nothing to do with loans of any type) & therefore have been studying data protection, both DPA & GDPR (basically DPA mark2 with more scope & teeth).

Your argument that they only need gross pay is a very sound one - by even asking for more than they have a lawful purpose to need they may well be in breach of the DPA! You would need to check that DPA applies to them & maybe do some more digging. DPA should apply, but then again who knows what 'concessions' the government may have made to sweeten the sale!!!:rotfl:

EDIT: This document may be of interest. I would suggest reading the right of access section - £10 fee for SAR will be removed. Also timescales are much reduced (40 days extendable without stated limit becomes 1 month extendable by 2 months). https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/data-protection-reform/overview-of-the-gdpr/
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • Lungboy wrote: »
    They will accept a p60, but I don't want to give them that for the same reason I don't want to give them unredacted wage slips: anything other than my gross pay in the 3 months prior to deferment is none of their business.

What have you redacted from your payslips?

My current deferment expired a couple of weeks ago. They received my posted DAF and supporting evidence just over a week before that I have proof of delivery). Not heard anything back yet though. Should I just sit tight, or dare I phone them to ask what's going on?
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What have you redacted from your payslips?

I redacted deductions from pay, like pension contributions etc., plus I redacted tax paid year to date and anything else that wasn't my gross pay.
  • Hi All
    Gardenia101 here ~ forgot my password so had to create a new account :D

Thought I'd update you about my trials with Erudio. For the third time the hell that is the deferment process started with standard print paperwork [they know I've been visually impaired since 2010 but for whatever reason their computer says no]

A swift email reminding them I need large print was followed with a second standard print DAF...

Another letter of complaint went in to Erudio which they answered almost at the 8 week deadline. Not surprisingly they found in my favour, explained they were still updating their systems [5 years & they STILL can't get it right :mad:] & offered me £100 compensation. As I'd applied for the 3 year medical deferment & enclosed proof of my ill health retirement they agreed the write off my loans as I'd be 50 before the end of the next deferment period.

While I'm delighted to be shot of these clowns I'm not happy with how we've been treated & let down.

I spoke to FOS to see about raising a third complaint & was told there wasn't really much I could do - as Erudio had ignored the last 2 decisions from FOS [at least 1 was from an ombudsman, can't remember how far the second complaint got] then my next call would be court :eek:

Good to know FOS are effective, isn't it? When Erudio ignored the first ombudsman's decision I was told FOS would go through an enforcement process, but that doesn't appear to have happened.

Personally I'm glad it's over for me but it leaves me feeling very, very cross.
  • My current deferment expired a couple of weeks ago. They received my posted DAF and supporting evidence just over a week before that (I have proof of delivery). Not heard anything back yet though. Should I just sit tight, or dare I phone them to ask what's going on?

Now over a month since my last deferment expired, and still no word back from Erudio on the current deferment application. Shouldn't be an issue, as my income is obviously way below the threshold. I'm guessing they're swamped with paper deferment applications (or just deliberately being slow, to try and encourage people to do it online instead).
  • Had my annual statement through. Dated the 1st but received the other day. So usual Erudio postage lateness.

It even had my monthly payment breakdown if I earned enough which is funny as I they say I've defaulted so shouldn't have the option. But I know I haven't defaulted because I have evidence of postage throughout these years of Erudio drama.

Also I've nothing since I sent off my deferment evidence and letter, not even from crapquest.
  • Now over two months since I re applied for deferment, but still nothing back from these clowns. Should I just wait it out, or is there any point trying to chase them about it?

Also see that the govt is launching an enquiry into student loans (more aimed at the current system, but it's supposed to be looking into their plans to sell off existing loans):
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/14/student-loans-former-education-secretary-morgan-to-lead-inquiry
  • Just need to get this off my chest, so apologies in advance if I rant a little. I was deferred by these idiots last year. This year I applied again and was refused, but letters going back and forth means that I was forced into arrears by them.

My monthly payment is currently £150, so I applied to have this reduced. My monthly disposable income is about £650, which to my mind covers things like MOTs, emergencies, additional petrol needs, some payments to my son at uni etc. So, letter received back. I expected them to refuse, but they're now demanding £300 a month, nearly 50% of my disposable income. Essentially they're happy for me to go into poverty to get their money. Not the end of the world for me as I only have £1500 left to pay on my loan, but these people are utter scum, facilitated by an uncaring government.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Are your earnings over the deferment criteria?

If they aren't why are you paying them?

What justification do they give for doubling the repayment?

Consider cancelling the direct debit, and using the ombudsman/courts.

Remember these loans were gifted to some loan sharks working out of a tax haven, so don't be surprised by anything they do.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport