Private Medical Consultation - additional fees

2»

Comments

• He did the test during the consultation, the test to me was pretty much the consultation.

Possible you might have a case then - all tests I have had as a private patient I have been referred to a different department to have the test then had another consultation with the consultant to discuss the results. It's fairly obvious if you are sent elsewhere to see someone else to have a test that there will be a separate fee, but less so if the consultant does it within the consultation and doesn't mention there is an extra cost.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    It was arranged through the PA of the consultant who completely failed to mention any costs of any of the tests. The hospital it took place at did ring and mention that there were potentially additional costs for tests but gave no prices.

I had the consultation, the consultant did the test, didn't tell me there would be a charge for this or what the charge was (to me it was just like a doctor getting a stethoscope out. I genuinely thought it was part of the consultation.) It wasn't through Private insurance I just funded myself for a speedy appointment.

Whenever I have been to a private hospital, for tests, consultation or treatment, I have needed to handover my credit card in advance to cover anything that my insurance doesn't cover.

Quite common to get a letter from accounts afterwards saying the insurance excess and anything not covered will be charged to my credit card.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    The charge for the test will be a hospital charge for the equipment used to carry out the test.

The consultation fee is only that - a fee for the consultant's time and his expertise to give you advice.

You say you were told there may be additional costs. Did you not ask what these may be?
  • A while back I had a private consultation that was quoted at £200. I had the consultation and had a test done. A few weeks later I was charged around £380 for the test and £70 for prescribed medicine. The £70 charge I was aware of, the £380 was a shock.

Turns out these were just the private hospital charges. I still owe the £200 for the consultation and I'm getting invoice reminders. At no point was the additional price given to me until the invoice came through.

Should I pay the £200 and try to get my £380 by trying to argue consumer rights - hidden charges. Or should I ignore the £200 invoice. I'm moving house shortly. Could this end up in a CCJ that I miss if I just ignore this.

I feel I have been treated unfairly. It wasn't clear that the test wasn't part of the consultation to me and charges were explained at no point but don't want a debt hanging over me.
    You paid for a private consultation. That's to see the doctor.
    Treatment is extra.
    Who did you think would pay for the treatment?

Pay it. You took the queue jump, you had the treatment as a result. Now pay up.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It was arranged through the PA of the consultant who completely failed to mention any costs of any of the tests. The hospital it took place at did ring and mention that there were potentially additional costs for tests but gave no prices.

Attention to detail is key...why, having been told there are potential additional costs for tests, did you not then ask what this test would potentially be costing you?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    krlyr wrote: »
    Attention to detail is key...why, having been told there are potential additional costs for tests, did you not then ask what this test would potentially be costing you?

Just like the OP told me when I compared a human medical consultation to a very similar situation of a vet visit.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure