Cycle challenge and time?

Options
I'm a runner,. 5k takes me 22:30 min. I'm super fit, but I'm riding 75miles for PilgrimsHospice, I don't know what my speed is, or will be. It won't be super fast. But I will be average on the ride I think as I'm not bike fit. How long roughly is a guesstimate that an average person can cycle 75miles at a steady pace. No long breaks. Anyone care to guess how long this ought to take me to finish?

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm guessing you are a woman looking at your 5k time. So I would say easy pace around 11-15 mph average. So 5-7 hrs?
    If you are fairly fit then you should be able to up that speed a bit.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Haha yes I'm a woman, I am quite proud of that 5k time mind you lol. I'm normally doing regular 12-13 milers, so speed is difficult to achieve at times. 5-7 hours seems realistic. Thank you for your estimate ����
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I wasn't making light of the 5k time. Its quite good :) but if I was running that time as a guy I wouldn't consider myself superfit. I don't consider myself superfit anyway and my current 5k time is 19:26.
    I'm marathon training so doing the same as you, with long runs at the moment.

Good luck with your cycle.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Would take me about 6 hours, including tea and cake stop, but I am in my sixties and carrying a bit too much weight, being super fit you should be able do it in half the time, unless you have a few encounters with the puncture fairy, or the route is seriously hilly.
  • Adly812
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm thinking along the 5hour mark.. Many thanks
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    How much riding have you done? What kind of bike are you riding? How hilly is the sportive? If you haven't done that kind of distance on a bike, then you might struggle to complete in 5 hours. My first sportive 4 years ago took five and a half hours for 80 miles. It was hilly, but I had already got 5000 cycling miles in my legs that year.
    Most women cyclists ride sportives at about 11 to 13 miles per hour. My advice would be to get some miles in, learn what it feels like to do 30+ miles. Practice your nutrition and hydration to avoid bonking.

If you haven't done that kind of distance before, pace yourself and plan to finish, rather than worry too much about your time.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Adly812
    Options
    Thanks, I'm usually a runner, do about 10 miles x4 a week. Teach classes everyday including spinning. I train on a watt bike too. So I'll complete it. But not going to aim for a pb. Just wanted a guesstimate time it would take an average. Course is quite hilly. I'm riding s hired bike lol. I am doing it as a one off charity PilgrimsHospice bike event in canterbury
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm usually a runner, do about 10 miles x4 a week. Teach classes everyday including spinning. I train on a watt bike too. So I'll complete it. But not going to aim for a pb. Just wanted a guesstimate time it would take an average. Course is quite hilly. I'm riding s hired bike lol. I am doing it as a one off charity PilgrimsHospice bike event in canterbury
    I think you underestimate some of the challenges of doing a long road bike ride if you're not used to it (and even if you are used to some cycling).
    I cycle to work almost every day (7.5 miles each way) on a mountain bike. I run 10k a couple of times a week and regularly do circuit-training/strength classes at my local gym. I don't consider myself super-fit but I'm "competent".

That being said ... I did some distance for the first time last year on a road bike. My first few times out I only did 15miles or so, and I was SORE - in places you don't want to think about (in spite of regular mountain-bike riding). So even if you think you're really fit and are sure your legs can take it, I can't recommend strongly enough getting some miles in on a bike like the one you'll be using on the day.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    The route doesn't look too hilly, less than 50ft/mile, so it could be quite quick for a sportive. I'd like to think I could manage it in about 4 hours, 3.5 in a chain. I see it's at the end of this month, so be sure to let us know how you get on. 5 hours for a first effort is not impossible, but don't underestimate the challenge, especially if you're not familiar with the bike.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with the posts above that it would be good to get some miles under your belt and break your body in a bit with the bike you'll be using. I find with longer road rides it's not so much fitness it's the issue but being hunched over the bike and with no shock absorption my wrists take a bit of a battering depending on the road surface.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure