PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• barneydee_2
    barneydee_2 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    I am going to do this I am I keep trying & fail after the bills are paid we should have about 650.00 left so I need to Start to save as I want to get my house decorated & I am going to have to pay to get someone to do it .
    So I'm going to for £200.00 there is know just me & oh I have a full freezer/fridge & store cupboards mine runs 1st august to 31st
    Dee x
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • murmur
    murmur Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I would like to join this month. We really need to try and reign in our spending on unnecessary stuff as we just cannot afford it. We are a family of four (me, dh, ds who has just turned three and dd who has just turned one).

I have worked out that we should be able to run with a £60 per week budget but as this month for us is going to run from today until August 28th I am going to give myself £330 to work from. This covers all household shopping including food, cleaning products, nappies and other toiletries.

I would normally split my shop between L*** and Sains... but our local Lidls has just closed for 7 months for refurbishment - so unless I drive to the next closest one (which I'm unlikely to do for a few weeks) then all my shopping will be from Sains...

I did a weeks shopping this morning and spent £55.06 - hopefully I won't need to buy anything else until the weekend.
    GC August 2014 - 179.84 / 330
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please sign me up for £290.69

That's for DS1 and myself, plus OH at weekends - but he and I are away for 5 days with his niece and my 2 eldest GD plus we have his niece at mine for an additional 4 nights, all meaning I need extra food. Also throw into the pot that my wrist will be in plaster until at least mid-month (which makes cooking my normal meals nigh on possible, so I'm likely to be shopping for convenience foods a few times a week) and I may be cutting it close by month end :o
    Cheryl
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello, and I have been resting but need to get back in August as I am just about to resign from my very stressful job and look at self-employment. I know this is the way not advised to do things, but I gave up smoking, against advice, 14 years ago on a January Monday. It was a good move and I feel sure the next ill-advised one will be too.

So, of the 31 days of August I need to spend no more than £120 on just my food and household stuff. I will store/freeze/dehydrate as much as seems sensible, but one can only use so much and I have a good supply from the start. I could, I believe, spend a lot less and utilise some of the stores. Now I am destined to have a little time on my hands jobs like inventorying the freezer/dry goods/tins, etc. will be much more achievable. I need to get organised!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Gracie_1827
    Gracie_1827 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Count me in for £31 for August please.... still on my £1 a day challenge
    GC - Oct £36.17/£31
    GC - Sep £35.56/£30:o
    GC - Aug £30.73/£31
    GC - Jul £30.80/£31
  • Catcherupper14
    Catcherupper14 Posts: 225 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2014 at 7:46AM
    Options
    Could I please join in with £200 please.

There is just me, but I have no idea of how much I spend.

I know that I waste food by poor shopping and planning habits.

I have just started a healthy eating programme, which involves eating organic as far as possible.

I would like to continue with this, but with the cost of such foods, I need to focus on only buying what I need.
  • malamay
    malamay Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    I've been away for a month, and as we're now planning the next holiday I need to stick to budget! It's going to be an expensive month as stores have been depleted while I was away. Can I stick at £180 please?
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to join in this month. I've fallen off the MSE wagon and really need to climb back on in August. Our budget for food / household items is £200 for the month and will run from the 24th July - 23rd August (due to pay days). There's only the 2 of us so I hope we can keep to this. Need to stock take the freezer and cupboards at some point this week and stop popping to the corner shop, it's our downfall!
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Munchkinsmum
    Options
    Please sign me up! My budget is £650 from now until end of August for five of us - I know this is high compared to some, but we've been spending over £200 a week, and this works out roughly £100 so I'm hoping it's a place to start. Well will have to be as it's all we have!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in again for August with £250. My month will run from Thursday 24th July until we go on holiday on Friday 29th August so slightly longer than usual but have already bought most of my meat for the month, just need some gammon steaks and sausages from butchers.

I'm hoping I won't need to spend it all as will give us a bit more spending money for holiday!

Denise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport