PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    Not cold here at all, wet but not cold, so heating is still off, be staying off for a while as well I think.

Npower reduced my DD to 23 pounds a month for dual fuel as Ive had the heating on so little over the last 18 months or so, but if it does need to go on, it will be.
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Options
    Heating on ?

I have been having a fan on to get to sleep.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello,

I can't believe I am posting this in August! But I know that this is a subject that comes up regularly. Before I even start, can I please reiterate that:

1. This is not a competition for the hardiest, most spartan moneysaver

2. Each of us has their own level of comfort and it varies

3. It is ok to put the heating on if you are cold, it is not a failure

4. If you are older, disabled or in poor health, or if you have younger children at home, please keep the house as warm as you can afford

5. Discomfort is not a virtue, no need for hair shirts!

Ok, warnings out of the way (please add your own if I have forgotten anything), here is my proposed switch on date:

1st November, as always.

Not always succeeded in getting to this deadline in the past, but with the help of jumpers, sofa blankets, hot water bottles and if necessary woodstove, I hope to manage it.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This year, as one of the most cold people on here having had no heating then a heating system that went wrong, but not believing in too much heating any way, we're not aiming for too late a date, partly because we want to test our new system earlyish.

I was almost tempted to turn it on for an hour yesterday, but then remembered myself ;). We have a couple of social events in September and I will probably warm up the house for them, last week the house had reached the stage that in the warm afternoons the house was much cooler inside than outside, so, unless we get an Indian summer its likely the house will get quite cool I think.

In the same way, it retains heat rather well, so heating it up for social events should trap heat in for a good while.
  • lulu_92
    lulu_92 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    OH is a stubborn mule when it comes to heating. It doesn't need to be on unless you're on the verge of freezing solid.

I don't touch it. If I'm cold I grab my blanket and put a jumper on.

When OH got in bed yesterday he was considering putting the heating on.
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

• jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    I made a thick hearty veg soup at the weekend, and I'm going to make more today. My body feels the need for it now it's chilling down :o

Would you mind posting the recipe for your soup please :) I have made a few recently as it doesn't bother the gall bladder too much and a thick hearty vegetable soup sounds delicious :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    Hello,

I can't believe I am posting this in August! But I know that this is a subject that comes up regularly. Before I even start, can I please reiterate that:

1. This is not a competition for the hardiest, most spartan moneysaver

2. Each of us has their own level of comfort and it varies

3. It is ok to put the heating on if you are cold, it is not a failure

4. If you are older, disabled or in poor health, or if you have younger children at home, please keep the house as warm as you can afford

5. Discomfort is not a virtue, no need for hair shirts!

Ok, warnings out of the way (please add your own if I have forgotten anything), here is my proposed switch on date:

1st November, as always.

Not always succeeded in getting to this deadline in the past, but with the help of jumpers, sofa blankets, hot water bottles and if necessary woodstove, I hope to manage it.

I like your warningsCat you are right it's not a competition nor a failure if someone puts the heating on.

I would like to wait until October at the earliest to put ours on, perhaps midway through? When it is on, I'm going to get thermometers I think and monitor it so I can turn it down when it reaches an acceptable level.
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • mlarmour
    mlarmour Posts: 66 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We haven't had our heating on even though its getting cooler. If I'm cold I just get another blanket or put a hoody on.
    My mum has the rule of the heating only goes on when she's cold and it has to be really cold for her to be cold. If I had control of the heating it would probably be on most days from september as I get really cold. I do struggle to regulate my temperature and often go from overly warm to freezing cold.
    Money saved in 2018: £18.78 in jar, £250 added to savings. Total: £268.78
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I usually aim for when the clocks change, although last year I think it was earlier than that. I blame the dog - there's only so much shivering hypothermic pleading eyed pooch I can stand before I cave in.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • azzabazza
    azzabazza Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Had electric blanket on last few nights and dug out warmer pjs. Also put heating on for a hour last night as house felt really cool.

I have poor circulation due to RA and thyroid problems so tend to feel colder than DH. I add a layer and he sheds one when I feel the need to put heating on at this time of year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback