T-Mobile customer services problem - have to pay £10 to check recording?

Options
bigsmoke
bigsmoke Posts: 281 Forumite
Hi All

We've got into a pickle trying to finalise termination of a T-Mobile contract that has been handed over to a debt collector and I'm hoping someone here can advise?

We left the country for 6 months and a relative agreed to pay the phone bill while we were away - this didn't happen (fault on both sides) so we returned to a letter from a debt collection agency.

we called t-mobile immediately and the very sympathetic person we spoke to agreed that if we paid a set amount by the end of August they would consider the matter settled, cancel the contract and give us a pats code to go elsewhere. They also said that the collection agency would be contacted and told that the matter had been resolved.

Today we got a second letter from the collectors, t-mobile are saying that the (very sparse) notes from our call don't reflect what we are saying and that they wont check the recording unless we write to head office and pay them £10 to do so.

has anyone experienced this? Do we really have to pay to get them to check the call? And legally should we be able to hold them to an agreement that we made over the phone?

Assuming the recording shows what we think it does of course - it's my partner's phone so he has been making the calls - I am just asking for help ;-).

sorry for the very long post, hope someone can advise

thanks
BS x

Comments

• Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    As it's been passed to debt collectors your credit rating will have taken a hit that will show for the next 6 years.
    If the transcript of the recording will reduce and clear the debt with a reasonable saving I would be tempted to take the punt and request it.
    It would be classed as SAR and they can charge you up to £10 for it.
    If the transcript proves they agreed to a payment reduction and supply PAC they would find it rather difficult not to comply.
    It won't help your credit rating much though other than change the debt to settled and probably still show as late payment.
    It's not just about the money
  • bigsmoke
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Silk. I have never dealt with a debt collector before so the whole thing is scary to me! Certainly hope to never again.

As you have confirmec that the charge is reasonable I think we will go down this route in an attempt to keep the transaction between us and T-Mobile and save some money.

Thanks for your advice.

BS x
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    It won't be between the two of you. As Silk said, your fredit record is now trashed snd since there was no error you can't change that. Once paid that will also show, but it's still big black stain for the next 6 years.
  • bigsmoke
    Options
    Thanks mobilejunkie - I did understand this from silk's response but obviously want clear in my answer.

Having called T-mobile back and pushed to check the recording they have now agreed to honour the original agreement that we made with them without going through the process of hauling the recording out so this now appears to be resolved.

Thanks both for your advice

BS x
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bigsmoke wrote: »
    Thanks mobilejunkie - I did understand this from silk's response but obviously want clear in my answer.

Having called T-mobile back and pushed to check the recording they have now agreed to honour the original agreement that we made with them without going through the process of hauling the recording out so this now appears to be resolved.

BS x

A good result, it looks like T-Mobile are on a run of good CS this week, going by posters on here ;).
    ====
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    bigsmoke wrote: »

BS x

You need to check that they also remove any stain on your credit files, if they have agreed to rectify the situation. With this network don't just take their word gor it; get written confirmation AND give that time to be applied, then check your external credit reference files yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure