PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Comments

• That had me doing quick googling LL to see if I could use Arm and Hammer toothpaste or no - and I can't. Sorry to break the bad news but....

I checked out the ingredients - which I was wondering about a bit (as includes fluoride:() and their phrasing alerted me to what they arent saying it includes.

Cue for it's on the list - ie of products with plastic microbeads (fish for the eating of.....):(:

https://www.beatthemicrobead.org/images/pdf/redUK.pdf

right down the bottom of the list of products to boycott (for having those microbeads in) was precisely one toothpaste. You guessed it. Oh well - back to the drawing board as to what one to use instead then...

I've had to give up eating fish and go back to being vegetarian - after reading about all those microbeads going into the ocean and via the fish into us.
  • Money.....thanks for the alert.

Just checked the tube....it says "micropolish technology". :rotfl: ..........more blasted cod science. I'm guessing that probably means micro beads.

I have recently thrown out all my known products which contained micro beads to stop them getting into the water supply.

I am a trained beautician and my particular interest is natural products and "green" technology - I am on a mission to avoid all products containing SLS's. I already make most of my lotions and potions so will see what I can come up with.

I always found neat bicarbonate of Soda a couple of times a week was enough to keep my teeth nice and white but just not sufficient for DS2. I thought daily use of bicarb was probably a bit too harsh on the enamel so was pleased to find A&H so successful and his dentist was happy for him to use it.

I've looked on the A&H website re ingredients. Yes rather vague. .......not a lot of help there.

Anyway thanks for the heads up. I'll see what I can do.
  • It was the phrase about "micropolishers" that turned on my inner Sh*t Detector - and hence more googling and that pdf list of products came up.

Not a happy bunny at having my diet more restricted like that - but I've read some of the info. on line about these microbeads are definitely getting into fish and, beyond that, we are definitely eating them. I was just about hanging onto eating fish knowing about all the plastic containers etc and other pollution going into the oceans those fish swim in (ie by thinking "Those shreds of plastic bags etc must be staying in their stomachs and we don't eat those") - but the info. is that those microbeads get into rather more of our potential diet than just their stomachs.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    I have found oil pulling to be quite effective for tooth whitening. You can use any edible oil. It is just being dedicated enough to spend 20 mins every morning doing the swishing that lets me down.
  • I am afraid my son is a typical "bloke". In and out of the bathroom in the shortest possible time. :rotfl:
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2016 at 6:03PM
    culpepper wrote: »
    I have found oil pulling to be quite effective for tooth whitening. You can use any edible oil. It is just being dedicated enough to spend 20 mins every morning doing the swishing that lets me down.

Admits to that still being on my "to do" list. I'm trying not to beat myself up about not having got onto that yet - but it's still on the list....:cool::o. Add the daily yoga and the 5 miles walking or 1 hour aerobic type exercise daily (i've got Bhangra dancing in mind personally - as it looks like fun to me) etc etc.....

It is hard to do/keep up with what one has decided makes sense personally sometimes - and I do know that I am spending some time reminding myself what people normally look like/function like and comparing it with what I see a lot of "people in the street" looking like. It sure ain't easy....
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe it helps if your son abstains from eating or drinking anything that stains his teeth? Coffee, tea, red wine,....
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Siebrie wrote: »
    Maybe it helps if your son abstains from eating or drinking anything that stains his teeth? Coffee, tea, red wine,....

Agh! Drastic:rotfl:.

What I'm wondering is if LL can do some experimenting with making own toothpaste/or something natural that will deal with the problem.

He can't be the only one with this problem and there must be a noticeable number of people looking for an alternative to the "toothpaste which shall be nameless - but contains those plastic microbeads" and maybe LL could experiment and find a formula to make some suitable (non-polluting) type alternative and, in the process, get herself what is called an "income stream" these days?

Well LL - it could give you a nice little challenge to try and devise an alternative and I've read articles about other women making up their own recipes for cosmetics and going on to earn "nice money thank you:D" from it. Could LL turn out to be the Anita Roddick of MSE? You never know....and I wouldnt be that astonished if she did personally....
  • Why thank you for the vote of confidence, Money.

Becoming a "kitchen tycoon" would be rather nice. :D
  • Siebrie wrote: »

Or drink them through a straw?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport