Garage Roof Replacement

2»

Comments

• phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes...kinda. The current roof should have a fall to it and the construction method above is for a roof with a fall. Actual flat roofs are a liability as they have no natural drainage and so tend to hold water.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My garage has a proper pitch. Was just checking you weren't suggesting those materials were better than metal/plastic sheets
  • Elston
    Elston Posts: 22 Forumite
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    My garage has a proper pitch. Was just checking you weren't suggesting those materials were better than metal/plastic sheets

I must admit to being slightly confused. I do appreciate the input from various contributors but the technical stuff means nothing to me. My DIY extends as far as basic decorating and maybe some simple tiling but certainly not roofing. Plus, physically, I'm no longer up to that type of job. What I want is someone to replace my roof with one that will be waterproof and will not drip condensation from the inside-and it needs to last. I understood that the Plastisol coated profiled roof panels were a good option and I'm just looking for a fair quote to do the job. £1482 does seem a bit high though, especially in relation to the original cost of the garage. If anyone has had a similar job done, I would be interested to know the cost.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry, I kind of hijacked your thread. I have a pitched roof garage that I need to replace the roof on as well so I was trying to get advice as well.
    Apologies for the confusion!
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    Sorry, I kind of hijacked your thread. I have a pitched roof garage that I need to replace the roof on as well so I was trying to get advice as well.
    Apologies for the confusion!

It's probably best to start your won thread so that you get tailored advice.

Regards
    Phil
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    If the garage was new 16 years ago there should be no asbestos in the roof. This means it may be possible to overclad it. A lightweight roof covering of say artificial slates wold be a quick and simple job. This would put the work into the remit of handymen, local builders and roofers.

Equally you may want the existing sheets removed and the new tile battens screwed into your pent frame.

If you go with a metal roof be aware of two issues. Most small builders and handymen will not be interested - they are used to working with bricks, roof tiles, mortar and timber. The second is metal is a disaster for condensation. You have been told a membrane will be fitted to combat this. I suspect this is sales spin for ordinary roofing underlay.

Condensation can be alleviated by improved ventilation and this is should be allowed for with a metal roof. Only you know what the quote allows for here.
  • Elston
    Furts wrote: »
    If the garage was new 16 years ago there should be no asbestos in the roof. This means it may be possible to overclad it. A lightweight roof covering of say artificial slates wold be a quick and simple job. This would put the work into the remit of handymen, local builders and roofers.

Equally you may want the existing sheets removed and the new tile battens screwed into your pent frame.

If you go with a metal roof be aware of two issues. Most small builders and handymen will not be interested - they are used to working with bricks, roof tiles, mortar and timber. The second is metal is a disaster for condensation. You have been told a membrane will be fitted to combat this. I suspect this is sales spin for ordinary roofing underlay.

Condensation can be alleviated by improved ventilation and this is should be allowed for with a metal roof. Only you know what the quote allows for here.

I hadn't really considered overcladding the roof. I thought that tiling, whilst a relatively simple job for a proper roofer, would have taken longer and cost more but maybe not. Anyway, food for thought. Thanks for your advice.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why would a roofer specify on his website that he does garage roof? Would he have to list extension roofs? Single story roofs?

A roofer will repair/replace any roof you offer him!
  • Elston
    G_M wrote: »
    Why would a roofer specify on his website that he does garage roof? Would he have to list extension roofs? Single story roofs?

A roofer will repair/replace any roof you offer him!

That's pretty much what I've seen on the websites I've looked at, including pictures of work completed and not one sectional garage roof spotted yet. As furts said above, certainly with steel roofs, builders won't want to know as they're used to working with bricks and mortar and tiles. Anyway, I will contact one or two to enquire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure