Partner's divorce proceedings

13»

Comments

• webitha
    webitha Posts: 4,799 Forumite
    why the heck does the solicitor need all that for, their divorce has nothing to do with you
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    webitha wrote: »
    why the heck does the solicitor need all that for, their divorce has nothing to do with you

Of course it has, she is the partner of the soon to be ex Husband ! The solicitor needs a full picture of his finances, as he's living with the OP, the full picture will include any other income he may have access to.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Well, its not income he has access to is it? He has no legal rights to any of her savings, investments, assets, salary or even her house. He is just her boyfriend. nothing more.

There is no legal compulsion for her to provide that information and no sanction that could be applied to her should she choose to politely decline or tell them to **** off.

The only examples of this actually mattering in the slightest relate to maintenance being payed by the man to his ex wife. The man appealed the spousal maintenance on the basis she was living with a wealthy other man. In this case he won and had the payments reduced. This situation is the other war round which would mean that the court would be ruling on if the OPs partners ex wife should be entitled to a share the OPs wealth which is absolute BS and not valid in law.

The OP is being asked for these details because as part of the settlement both parties are asked to provide the same information.

To say AGAIN. The OP does not need to provide any information if she chooses not to and it would be wise not to.
  • Thanks for all the replies.
    I decided to only provide a brief outline of my finances, i.e. gross annual salary and the fact the property is mortgaged but I didn't provide mortgage details or amounts. If they want a valuation they can have a look on the internet for how much similar houses have sold in the area , I won't be doing that for them or even get a proper valuation through an estate agent. That would be insanity, considering I am not the one who is getting divorced here. And asking for my savings account details sort of blew me away. So the solicitor will now work with the brief details he has been given. If at some point during these financial negotiations more information is required from me for whatever reason we will cross the bridge at that time and I will then see if I am willing to provide a bit more information.
    So this is how we left it with the solicitor, it turns out his ex hasn't provided any details or disclosed any details herself at all yet, so may all take quite a while yet.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    They shouldn't ned anything further. If you look at a Form E (if your partner has ben asked to compelte one) the nformaion ned about a partner is fiarly limited.
    If they wnat more then his ex *could* ask the cout to issue a witness summons for you, but the Judge would need a **really ** good reason (for instnace if your partner had ben transferring assets to you to try to hide them)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • You don't have to! So just get a lawyer and take action!
  • webitha
    webitha Posts: 4,799 Forumite
    has anything else been said about this op
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure