Best currency to take to Turkey?

Hi,

My wife and a couple of friends are off to Turkey for a week's holiday later this month. What is the best currency to take with them?
The choices are Turkish Lira, Euro, US dollar or pounds.

Of course there is also the further options of loading a pre-pay credit card - but I suspect they won't get such good deals if paying by plactic.

thanks,

Steve

Comments

• M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    none of these are useful these days.. it's all about dubloons..

umm.. i might as well put some seriousness to this post..
    from reading other threads on here, it really depends on which part of turkey you are going to, as to which currency they prefer!

do a quick search and i'm sure you'll find some useful info!
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    markymoo wrote: »
    none of these are useful these days.. it's all about dubloons..

umm.. i might as well put some seriousness to this post..
    from reading other threads on here, it really depends on which part of turkey you are going to, as to which currency they prefer!

do a quick search and i'm sure you'll find some useful info!

Even the areas that favour Euros are still happy to take pounds.

With the pound so weak against the Euro, there would be no point in changing at this time.
  • soco1
    soco1 Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    When in Turkey I tend to spend their own currency!
    Change your sterling when you get there.
  • bringmeshoes
    bringmeshoes Posts: 2,792 Forumite
    i tend to take mostly travellers cheques because they are insured if anything happens to them, i also take about £100 of local currency to see me through the first day and give me chance to see where i get the best rate to exchange the travellers cheques
    The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about - Oscar Wilde:beer:
    Big sister to Hayley11 and Before Hollywood and adopted daughter of Vikingero
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I find New Turkish Lira useful in Turkey.

I also prefer not to have the cost & hassle of Travellers Cheques
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    sukstr wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife and a couple of friends are off to Turkey for a week's holiday later this month. What is the best currency to take with them?
    The choices are Turkish Lira, Euro, US dollar or pounds.

Of course there is also the further options of loading a pre-pay credit card - but I suspect they won't get such good deals if paying by plactic.

thanks,

Steve

Unless they already have the $$$ or the €€€ there's no point in incurring double exchange costs by taking them to exchange when they get there
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    just been to turkey last month and was under the impression that dollars would be the best but it didnt really matter to be honest.

You get slightly better rate there than at home but I would go for the lira as there really isnt much in it.

If you are flying back from bodrum airport by any chance the bar prices are horrendous so take water - they let you through with it. Duty free was really cheap too.
  • aardvark65
    aardvark65 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We go regularly and always change up sterling to Turkish lira whilst there. Agree there is no point in changing twice - you always lose. If you have euros already they maybe useful for duty free etc.
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    we are going to turkey tomorrow for third time and we take a few hundred pounds in turkish lira and the rest in sterling. I also take bank card as back up in case we have no money left got duty free on way back lol I have only ever used a credit card once in Turkey and the guy in the shop " just had to go next door to use their machine" lol I was straight on phone afterwards to make sure only one transaction was put through and cancelled card.

We do tend to spend in sterling as many shops have prices marked in £ and Euro's , helps us gage what we are spending and if it is worth it.

OK I admit it my hubby buys the " 4 tshirts for £10" lol
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • whu
    whu Posts: 23,461 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    depends where in Turkey you are going - in Kalkan it is better to have local currency - change it there
    Keep the Faith:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport