Free 15 hours of childcare for 3 year olds

we just moved into a new area, my daughter turns 3 this December so she is entitled to free childcare from January. I have contacted some nurseries and most are privetely owned, they tell me that unless the child goes to their private school later on they cant accept the child, others say they don't take any more new children, what do i do? what rights I have? I got the impression they just dont want to take on a child who will not stay any additional hours
If you feel my post has been useful, " merci" would not go amiss.

A donde fueres, haz lo que vieres.

Comments

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Can you say you will be putting your little one into their school,and then "circumstances" change and you put your daughter where you want to.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your local authority website should list all the OFSTED registered nurseries and childminders in your area. I suggest you keep looking.
  • wendz86
    wendz86 Posts: 7,171
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can you look into non private options? Maybe a school nursery?

Or a private nursery that doesn't have a school attached although i know they can still sometimes want the child to go more hours.
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    The problem may well be that the childcare fees paid by the local authority do not cover the overheads for the 15 hours in some nurseries so they either opt out of the scheme or take a loss on some hours but cover costs with the extra hours. Play group type settings with lower overheads such as those based in church halls, community centres etc, may be worth looking at as these are often non profit making and they will be able to offer the 15 hours free chilcare.
  • gargoyle
    gargoyle Posts: 251 Forumite
    When they agree to offer funded places they are certain requriements, i.e. not allowed to place conditions on taking up the funding. They are not allowed to coerce you into booking in extra hours, charge registration fees etc. I would look elsewhere if I were you.
    I'm a childminder that offers the funded hours so childminders are an option and I also use to oversee the funded scheme in a 64 place nursery so I remember the admin fondly lol.
    "Failure is always an option"

Sealed pot challenge #107 - still going strong
  • There's nothing you can do about the ones who say they've no spaces: it's a voluntary scheme for providers and they don't have to accept any more free places than they want to, if at all. I would have thought you could get round the requirement to sign up for the private school later on, though? They're breaking the conditions of their funding, so in theory there's nothing to stop you signing up then complaining to the local authority once your child has the place.
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'd go find your local Children's Centre and ask them for advice and a list of places in the area who take the funding (I know ours has a huge long list of who in the area takes the 2 and 3 year funding). You might still have to ring around to find somewhere with places - I know the preschool my kids go to is full to bursting point and have now confirmed all sessions for January. Worth trying the school-attached nurseries and little preschool settings as well as the more marketed nurseries (my eldest goes to a fantastic little preschool and my youngest's signed up for next year there as well).
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure