PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you freeze blackcurrants?

Hi,

We've just harvested our blackcurrant crop and have tons! Even after distributing them to all our family and friends I still have a lot that I'd like to keep for jam-making, fruit salads etc. later in the year. Is it possible to freeze them whole, and if so should I just put them in a container or do I need to do something else to them?

Thanks for your help"
Sam

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Blackcurrants freeze really well for later use in jam,or cooked puds.

If you want them to be free-flowing like a bag of frozen peas, then spread them out on a baking tray and freeze till hard,then bag up and pop back in the freezer.If you don't mind them in a big lump, then just put in bags or tubs and freeze.You don't need to cook them first.

If you like, you can cook them with sugar and sieve them to make a thick blackcurrant sauce for use in desserts like ice cream or to add to plain yogurt.You can then freeze the sauce.
  • samh_2
    samh_2 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Thanks Thriftlady - the sauce is a great idea! I've just made some blackcurrant ice-cream (waiting to see how that turns out!) and am about to start some jam, followed by blackcurrant smoothies. This is our first crop so I'd be really grateful for any ideas on how to use them, particularly after they've been frozen as I think my lot will revolt if they get blackcurrants for every meal!!

Thanks
    Sam
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I think you've covered most of my ideas:)

Ermmm......blackcurrant crumble,pie,trifle,pavlova,cake (cream mixed with currants and used to fill a sponge), muffins,cordial (HM Ribena), or best of all add a spoonful of the blackcurrant sauce to a glass of white wine and have a HM kir - champagne for kir royale,this would probably be good with lemonade too;) HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure