PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you clean inside the tines of stainless steel forks?

Options
I did various searches on this forum for this question but no success. I don't have a dishwasher; have tried soaking them in white vinegar and hot water. The inside of the tines have discoloured and so they look as though not been washed up properly.
fitzroy

Comments

• Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure I've read something about putting tin foil in a saucepan of boiling water and then putting the stainless steel items in to simmer for a while. Don't hold me to this if everything goes pearshaped as I haven't tried it myself! Perhaps it's worth experimenting on an old item first.
  • I soak mine in a bleach solution. Brings them up lovely. Gets tea stains off the teaspoons a treat too.
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    haven't tried it personally, but what about using the same solution people use to clean rings and jewellery
  • adsk
    adsk Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For stainless steel cutlery that needs a good clean put large pan of water (don't use a non-stick pan) to boil on the stove. Add a scoop of biological washing powder and then your cutlery. Simmer for 10 minutes or so. Give the cutlery a good rinse in hot water and dry. They will look as good as new!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 September 2023 at 8:11PM
    Options
    I soak mine in a bleach solution. Brings them up lovely. Gets tea stains off the teaspoons a treat too.

Exactly what I do. Neat bleach = brand new teaspoon. I bleach all my cutlery.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Use an old toothbrush and some bleach...I must admit when we eat out checking the fork cleanliness is one of the things I do, then we either stay or go
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    My Dad had a thing about this. We always had to use a brush when washing up.

I would go with the bleach idea too.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I'm obviously not cleaning my cutlery properly either. I'm getting quite a long list of things I don't bother cleaning properly :D:rolleyes:
  • Abigayil337
    Options
    I used the somewhat new (I think...) "cleaning" vinegar in a strong solution with water. After soaking the forks in the solution in a glass jar all day, I used a good sized safety pin to lift away the layers of gross yellow-brown crud that had accumulated inside. You have to be thorough, using the pin head and scraping at anything that resembles crud or tarnish from all sides and all angles inspecting for any signs of discoloration. I now have a jar with little flakes of crud at the bottom as proof off my work for the skeptical (namely my mother who thought it was just tarnish). It is not. The crud actually expanded and became gummy after hours of contact with the solution. This method was great because it is cheap and didn't require cooking fuel or any extra supplies from the grocery or hardware store, just good eyesight, patience and a very little elbow grease. :T
  • AimingForBetter
    Options
    Best I've found is fill a bowl or pot (taller rather than wider works best) with boiling water, add a good amount of bicarbonate of soda so it fizzes well and put forks, teaspoons etc in to soak for a few hours/overnight. Use a dishcloth to wipe the residue off and rinse well.

Works on tea stains in cups, mugs and teapot too. Also sorted s/steel saucepan which I mistakenly left on the hob and ended up black inside. Secret is to make sure there's a good amount of bicarb.

Really effective and no scrubbing needed, also no danger to health.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure