PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    This is one of my favourite threads here, you girls always have plenty going on! You all cheer me up :A

As an honoury ex single I reckon it's fine to pass by and maybe troll you all a little ;)

Do you not think some of us are blessed with being extra hungry and having a different "full up" indicator? I'm positive it's something in the brain not the stomach because I've been given medicines before that turned me into a complete hunger monster, craving sugar and carbs more than I usually do. The minute I stopped them, it reduced.

One of my sons likes to point out that my greedy genes are what kept us living and breeding in the stone age. Of the 2 sons he also struggles with his appetite and weight, whereas the other is slender as can be, forgets to eat and is uber into nutrition and weird diet trends. They are so very different.

Anyway, the important bit of my post is about not makings the craved for crumble after crumbling it up - now portioned and in the freezer. Sometimes executing the thought is enough, knowing I can have it if I really want. But I'm still scoffing fruit on this 10 a day malarkey like nobody's business.

PN never thought about eating tin tomatoes just out of the tin before, should I be trying this?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 March 2017 at 5:02PM
    katkin wrote: »

PN never thought about eating tin tomatoes just out of the tin before, should I be trying this?

Tinned tomatoes are magnificent served with fried bread... although I've not had that for years.

I have them as part of any cooked breakfast and on the side of mac cheese in the main.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    One of my favourite weekend breakfasts is 'squashies on toast'..... canned tomatoes on buttered toast with plenty of salt and pepper. Simple but delicious and actually quite healthy too (salt notwithstanding).
    :hello:
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I just realised that the bunch of bananas in the kitchen are very ripe now and need to be used up so tomorrow's breakfast will be a couple of mashed bananas added to a beaten egg and some flour and then made into pancakes.

With dds that normally visit a couple of times a week being away I find I have become less active in cooking and housekeeping which is embarrassing so I need to get into a routine and keep on top of things.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Today started OK, with cereal, an avocado and a banana for breakfast, deteriorated with potato waffle and cheese for lunch, improved when I tried to make a smoothie with spinach, apple and kiwi, then fell down for tea when I saw an ad for Pizza Hut who have an offer on so I went and got a pizza. I'll have the other half of it tomorrow.

The smoothie didn't really work, I took the spinach out last night so it'd be defrosted but the blender really didn't like the apple, and then broke. So I've given in and ordered a nutri ninja which gets good reviews so I'll try again tomorrow. I got some reduced nectarines from the petrol station tesco so I'll try lobbing one of those in.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I can't stomach tinned tomatoes unless they are chopped up and cooked in a recipe yet can eat baked beans any time.

I sometimes use wine in recipes so froze some I had bought in a small bottle and also ordered a few ice cube trays so I could freeze my own rather than buying them ready frozen. I could also use the trays for home made tomato puree etc or else lemon or lime slices frozen or even grapes to use in drinks.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tinned tomatoes are one of those things that are a no for me, there's just something about them. On their own that is, in a sauce etc no problem, raw tomatoes on the other hand are a firm favourite and there's always some in the fruit bowl.

Had a nuked potato with over ripe brie and baked beans then a plum before i went to my evening class. Just had a couple of slices of toast with butter and marmalade and tempted to go back for a couple more.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I filled up on rice cakes (couldn't be bothered to do onigiri - time factor) and had a couple of vegan white Russians, more tea and water. Hrm not exactly the best. Still I definitely got my fruit and vegetables in so there is that I suppose.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Katkin I think I've mentioned tinned whole plum tomatoes on toast with a splash of Lee and Perrins/Worcestershire sauce a few times on this thread...an excellent meal (esp when CFO) and so cheap :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I did something wrong and paid the price.

I fancied a nibble last night and went to the kitchen to toast a muffin - but between here and there I changed my mind and thought "toast" - but then I saw the scones in the freezer and got out two pieces of bread and two scones. Cooked/ate both ... and then realised I'd eaten too much and so had not enjoyed both.

Then, as I'd over-eaten I fell asleep...and only just woke up :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport