Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Oxfam Unwrapped Charity Gifts half price

lilmiss1982
lilmiss1982 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 15 December 2015 at 7:35PM in Charities
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-unwrapped?intcmp=shop-home-v3-unwrapped-slider-15-oct-2015

Buy a half price gift
A partner of Oxfam will pay the other half
Oxfam recieves 100% of the donation

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Tue 15 Dec: Oxfam has confirmed that this offer ends on Mon 21 Dec. It receives 100% of the gift price, as you buy a half-price gift and a partner of Oxfam pays the other half. Gifts include chickens, goats, a toilet and safe water – all of which go to help those less fortunate. You can send a personalised message card with your gift but little extras are not included in the offer, although they can be added. This offer is only available online or by phone, so you won’t be able to get it at Oxfam shops.

Oxfam’s last order date for Christmas is 7pm Fri 18 Dec, but you can have your gift sent by email.

Big thanks to lilmiss1982 for the original spot!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy – it’s blood. Please don’t let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift… give blood.

Comments

• Thanks so much - great top up present that makes a difference!
  • Don't forget to tick the gift aid box at checkout if you pay tax; means Oxfam can claim the tax back. Great top-up gifts and I like that 100% goes to Oxfam.
  • Thank you for posting this!! Stocking filler for my husband and chicken loving friend sorted!
  • This is a brilliant idea - thank you. I've bought some chickens too!! Don't forget quidco - 20% cash back on Oxfam for next few days.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 December 2015 at 8:00PM
    I bought a goat...I'm sure my parents will enjoy it :o

I'm choosing to edit the original post rather than add to the debate lower down.

I was not seduced by the idea of a cute, santa-hat wearing goat being herded onto a boat and being let loose in Africa: I donated money to Oxfam - the "goat" being a virtual entity representing a set amount of money.

There is a large and obvious statement on the form that reminds purchasers that the money will be directed to the areas/items most in need. I was happy to consent to that.

My parents will enjoy the idea of the goat, Oxfam's projects will enjoy the money. That has to be better than buying an anniversary themed dust-gatherer.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Just bought a loo.....my friend will be thrilled.
  • Corelli
    Corelli Posts: 664 Forumite
    Such a good idea, a way to help change people's lives for the better. But if you are thinking of paying for an animal, please read this. I'm not posting this purely from an animal welfare perspective, many of these animals end up being more of a drain than a help to the recipient and their land and community.

"Sean O’Neill of the Times of London explains that animal gifting organizations “are wooing the ethical shopper with pictures of cute goats wearing Christmas hats and promises of helping the poor in developing countries.” But organizations such as the World Land Trust and Animal Aid deem that “it is ‘madness’ to send goats, cows and chickens to areas where they will add to the problems of drought and desertification.”
    Former Indian minister for social welfare and animal protection, Maneka Gandhi explains that when goats are allowed or forced by consequences to graze: “each goat eats all the grass and shrubbery on two hectares of land a year. A goat destroys the fertility of land and [the value of] any milk or dung it may give is very little compared to the havoc it wreaks……within two years, the people who get goats have an even poorer lifestyle."

"
    Furthermore, children who are supposed to benefit from animal gifts may be taken out of school to tend to animals. Some children have even had to sleep in the barn with animals to prevent theft. Ultimately, most of their animal “friends” will suffer painful deaths due to disease, deprivation, or slaughter."

: http://awfw.org/no-animal-gifts/

VEGAN for the environment, for the animals, for health and for people

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~Albert Schweitzer
  • lilmiss1982
    lilmiss1982 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm not posting this purely from an animal welfare perspective, many of these animals end up being more of a drain than a help to the recipient and their land and community.

Yes I think you are.

Corelli wrote: »
    Such a good idea, a way to help change people's lives for the better. But if you are thinking of paying for an animal, please read this. I'm not posting this purely from an animal welfare perspective, many of these animals end up being more of a drain than a help to the recipient and their land and community.

"Sean O’Neill of the Times of London explains that animal gifting organizations “are wooing the ethical shopper with pictures of cute goats wearing Christmas hats and promises of helping the poor in developing countries.” But organizations such as the World Land Trust and Animal Aid deem that “it is ‘madness’ to send goats, cows and chickens to areas where they will add to the problems of drought and desertification.”
    Former Indian minister for social welfare and animal protection, Maneka Gandhi explains that when goats are allowed or forced by consequences to graze: “each goat eats all the grass and shrubbery on two hectares of land a year. A goat destroys the fertility of land and [the value of] any milk or dung it may give is very little compared to the havoc it wreaks……within two years, the people who get goats have an even poorer lifestyle."

"
    Furthermore, children who are supposed to benefit from animal gifts may be taken out of school to tend to animals. Some children have even had to sleep in the barn with animals to prevent theft. Ultimately, most of their animal “friends” will suffer painful deaths due to disease, deprivation, or slaughter."

: http://awfw.org/no-animal-gifts/

The money that you, and thousands of others, spend on Oxfam Unwrapped gifts will support the full range of Oxfam's work around the world, from emergency responses to advocacy projects. Thank you!

Every year, our fantastic programme teams work out what the communities we work in need the most. It's these must-have items that get featured in our gift catalogue. The gifts are grouped into categories according to their theme. We've added two-letter codes to the end of each product code to show which category they belong to. Your gift could fund any of the activities within the category. Oxfam Unwrapped supports four project categories in total.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-unwrapped/how-we-spend-your-money
    For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy – it’s blood. Please don’t let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift… give blood.
  • Crazyangel
    Crazyangel Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Brilliant post, thank you - just bought some chickens as stocking fillers! :)

Wins : McCains garden games set, 2xTickets to Alton Towers, Links of London friendship bracelet, 2xIdeal Home Show tickets, McFly album CD, Virgin Balloon flight for 2 with a case of ScrumpyJack cider and 2 ltd edition jackets, Powerboat racing experience, £50 Virgin voucher, Aerobie Pro flying ring & Rice Krispie squares, Tesco baby pack
    :j
  • But organizations such as the World Land Trust and Animal Aid deem that “it is ‘madness’ to send goats, cows and chickens to areas where they will add to the problems of drought and desertification.”

[/QUOTE]

Interesting to compare the above comment with one on Send a Cow's site:

'Cows and goats provide milk to help feed families. Together with sheep, chickens and rabbits they give mineral-rich manure to improve the soil and its crops.'

Clearly choosing the 'destination' area is vitally important - which is not the same thing as implying that sending animals is always a bad idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure