MSE News: Morrisons to begin price matching Aldi and Lidl

Comments

• I believe that Morrisons current card credits 1.5p per litre to your card, their new card credits 1p. So they are taking with one hand in exchange for a qualified credit of 1p for each 1p they are charging more than their competitors and this is a qualified credit, it only happens when you spend more than £15 and there is a maximum credit of 10,000 points per shop (£10). Not so great. The supermarkets are fighting what seems a desperate battle against Aldi and Lidl and seem 'caught in the headlamps'.
  • marvelous wrote: »
    I believe that Morrisons current card credits 1.5p per litre to your card, their new card credits 1p.

The petrol card started at 1.5p but has been 1p for quite some time. Can't say for how long as it was only by chance that I noticed.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    We got vouchers through the letterbox today for Morrisons: £4 off a £35 shop. Hard to be convinced when Morrisons rich tea biscuits are 95p and Lidl's, tasting just as good, are 23p.

Morrisons near us is a pretty good supermarket. Great quality meat and fish, and their bakery bread tastes better than Asda's. But nowadays when I go in there it seems quite empty, whereas the last two visits I made to Lidl, (down a steep drive, not convenient to get into at all) it was heaving.
  • My main gripe with Morrisons is the price of Warburtons loaves at £1.45.Most other places are £1.00. At the moment M s are doing 2 for £2. So if I buy 1, will I get 45p worth of points added to my card?
  • The petrol card started at 1.5p but has been 1p for quite some time. Can't say for how long as it was only by chance that I noticed.
    I think it came in around the start of the fuel-discounts-for-buying-vouchers offer. Bit sneaky but I kind of understand it.
  • My main gripe with Morrisons is the price of Warburtons loaves at £1.45.Most other places are £1.00. At the moment M s are doing 2 for £2. So if I buy 1, will I get 45p worth of points added to my card?

You won't get 45p worth of points if something else in your basket is 45p cheaper than elsewhere. As it's based on the value of the basket.

E.g. it's all !!!!!!!! and better off just going to Aldi/Lidl where it's cheaper in the first place.
  • dktreesea wrote: »
    We got vouchers through the letterbox today for Morrisons: £4 off a £35 shop. Hard to be convinced when Morrisons rich tea biscuits are 95p and Lidl's, tasting just as good, are 23p.

Morrisons near us is a pretty good supermarket. Great quality meat and fish, and their bakery bread tastes better than Asda's. But nowadays when I go in there it seems quite empty, whereas the last two visits I made to Lidl, (down a steep drive, not convenient to get into at all) it was heaving.

The odd thing is, Morrisons is always packed when I go, but whenever - and I mean weekdays or Saturdays, the Lidl near me has about 3 other people in it, and one till on, it's been there for years now, but it's always empty. Bit of a mystery as shoppers are presumably supposed to be flocking to Lidl? Not in my neighbourhood lol!

Mind you I never usually buy anything as I can't actually see a difference between the prices and in any case going to some of the other discount type stores for cleaning and other stuff is actually a lot cheaper so maybe it's not just Lidl etc they need to worry about!

Here's a trick worth trying...

The other day I got two Warburtons loaves off the "still fresh" trolley, at 19p each. Great for freezing and toasting!

The funny thing was, they went through as Warburtons loaves, and I bought 2, so the reduction was still applied which meant I got both loaves for NOTHING :D The till lady was astonished LOL :)
  • I defeated Morrisons Mix and Match - they tried their best to get me to have one. When I said I rarely spend more than £10 they said I could use it for petrol as well. When I said I didn't drive they were stumped.

I feel sorry for the staff having to push this nonsense.

I don't know how many single non driving households there are, but this idea is managing to completely alienate this segment of the market.

I mean why not a simple card like Boots have, I actually use that and have enough points stacked up for my Christmas shopping.

I hope Morrison stop asking me if I have a Mix and Match More card or whatever its called or I'm going to find shopping there intolerable.

I did manage to get 3 days food (reduced sack of potatoes, and a few reduced loaves) for £2.50 yesterday, now that's what I call saving! I'm not the only one as the still fresh trolley can empty very quickly and sometimes it mysteriously disappears altogether!
  • Glasgow; Cardonald:
    Went to buy individual oranges as usual yesterday (I juice two a day). Noticed there was no price displayed and made a mental note to check at till.
    Sure enough, suspicions confirmed. Massive and unjustifiable 20% price hike (from 25p to 30p each). Failure to display new price: sleekit.
    Price manipulation of the most disrespectful kind.
    You hope your customers will remain loyal whilst you treat them with contempt. Things have changed and this behaviour now costs you money and customers.
    I would hope this error will be reversed very quickly.
    Rank Bajin.
    ps. I left the oranges, lidl sells them at around 25p.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure