Cheap Mobile Contracts Article Discussion

Comments

• whoops look like i posted in the wrong thread somehow?? my first post too :(
  • Good Morning,
    I have a daughter about to turn 10 and I want to get her a new handset for her birthday. We don't have a model in mind, just some features we'd like:
    PAYG
    an MP3 player
    a camera
    I have a budget of £50 absolute maximum, including any compulsory top ups
    I am with Orange and will want her to be with Orange too, so I can use the magic numbers, as she will mostly call me and use it to text her Dad

At this point she doesn't need data and I would rather not let her have access to the Internet!

Has anyone any recommendations for handsets, and the best prices?

Much appreciated,

Stonehan
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 27 February 2012 at 1:54PM
    2Q==2Q== Sony_Ericsson_Spiro_Black_multiview_h1.png£30+£10 from CPW. Check TCB/Quidco.
    Make sure you disable internet in the handset or, preferably, on Orange's side.
  • rednca
    rednca Posts: 26 Forumite
    Can anyone help? I am looking for a smart phone for my daughter who has learning difficulties. She looks after her phones but i need a contract which is capped so she does not go over her contract. I know Tesco have just introduced one but I can't find a comparison site which has this option.

Try giffgaff, which has the benefit of contract minutes but you pay upfront on a month by month basis. Purchasing a £10 goodybag gets 250 minutes, unlimited texts. I believe Tmobile does something similar
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does anyone know a cheap UK based seller of Nokia E7 PAYG phones ?
    I cancelled an order to (China based) Simply Electronics as they were unable to supply (despite taking my money and promising delivery within 7 days)
  • Amy_L
    Amy_L Posts: 43 Forumite
    Is there any point in the year when new mobile phones and contracts are generally cheaper than the rest of they year? I was hoping it may be the "january sale", but alas ...

Any help?

TIA,
    Amy
  • Hi, I already own a mobile, make maybe 10 calls a month, and a similar amount of texts. So who does the cheapest payg for very small usage? Thanks.
  • Daddiio
    Daddiio Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi. First post. Bear with.

I have a BT mobile (now defunct) phone contract. I pay £5.11 (very exactly) a month and it gives me all that I need, virtually unlimited texts and calls and 500Mb data.

The problem I have is that the smart phone has reached the end of its life and because BT mobile no longer exists I cannot upgrade via them. the contract is still being honoured and as you will be able to tell offers incredible value for money.

Where can I obtain an "unregistered" (for want of a better word) handset that I can put my BT SIM card in allowing it to still work. I have a very old vodafone phone that it works in but I cannot get internet access and other nice to have features.

Any ideas welcome.

Daddio
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Very probably your SIM will work in any Voda locked smart phone and in any unlocked one. A Voda locked one, new or used, would cost say 20% less to buy.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 1 May 2013 at 8:50AM
    The correct word is "not locked to any network" or simply "unlocked" or "sim-free". All independent retailers sell them.
    CPW/mobiles.co.uk/osps/e2save
    P4U/dial-a-phone
    amazon
    ebay
    Tesco phone shop
    http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/networks/sim-free/
    http://www.omio .com/deals/sim-free

It is worth saying that PAYG phones are usually cheaper than sim-free, but if sold by independents are still not locked: CPW at al., P4U at al.
    Many locked handsets are very cheap to unlock: Mobile Unlocking
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure