Asda launches revamped price guarantee News Discussion

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Asda launches revamped price guarantee"

Comments

• thepearce
    thepearce Posts: 2,287
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The link in the article is wrong (not working at all). It should be : http://www.asda.com/priceguarantee
  • Whilst low prices are obviously commendable, I cant help thinking that too much emphasis is put upon them. All of the supermarkets can compete on price but it is the public and suppliers who will inevitably lose out in the long run. Suppliers need to be given a reasonable rate or they will go out of business and we can be sure that low prices are not a benevolent gesture, the profits are being clawed back in other ways. Dont believe the hype, look beyond the facade for quality and social responsibility.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,949
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Does it include bogof and price promotions? Ie say tescos had bogof on nappies could you buy two packets of the saem nappies in ASDA and in effect get them 10% cheaper than the Tesco Bogof price?

A always think this 'a basket bought here is cheaper than in xyz store' is rubbish as most surely chose their basket to some extent to pick what is on special in that store - thus if it is not on special in the competitor store the basket appears cheaper but actually in the other store the same item not on special would probably not have been purchased.

In general although Asda may be a few percent cheaper on most items I think that they may still work out more expensive overall as they have fewer promotional prices/offers - for example they might be 5% cheaper of washing powder at standard prices but if you only buy 6 months supply when it is on Bogof at Sains twice a year then your annual spend on washing powder is less at Sains.
    I think....
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,855
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    michaels wrote: »
    Does it include bogof and price promotions? Ie say tescos had bogof on nappies could you buy two packets of the saem nappies in ASDA and in effect get them 10% cheaper than the Tesco Bogof price?

A always think this 'a basket bought here is cheaper than in xyz store' is rubbish as most surely chose their basket to some extent to pick what is on special in that store - thus if it is not on special in the competitor store the basket appears cheaper but actually in the other store the same item not on special would probably not have been purchased.

In general although Asda may be a few percent cheaper on most items I think that they may still work out more expensive overall as they have fewer promotional prices/offers - for example they might be 5% cheaper of washing powder at standard prices but if you only buy 6 months supply when it is on Bogof at Sains twice a year then your annual spend on washing powder is less at Sains.

Hi
    Yes they do include bogof and multibuys etc.
    lkmc01 called Asda and asked on this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2963502
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pity they can't improve their prices on ASDA Direct, some of them are shockingly uncompetitive.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why bother?

If it's cheaper elsewhere, and you only get the difference back, just buy it elsewhere and not bother with the faff of the comparison.

Now if it was double the difference, or even a bit more, it would be worth it
  • Lakeuk
    Lakeuk Posts: 1,084
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just seen this bogus price war on ITV News, I can been alot of people falling for this deception in Asda's play with words

Reality is there is not 10% cheaper guarantee,
    I dependent on the goods being on the mysupermarket website or get picked up by Mon/Web sample shop at Morrisons.

Good example if Morrisions have a special offer this week of Kellogg's Cornflakes 750g for £1.24 (half price), but surprise surprise Asda don't show it on MySupermarket, they only have 500g to price match.

I would feel very cheated if I have bought cornflakes from Asda and not refunded the difference on the Morrisons price, I'd also be miffed at not getting different+10%
  • Lube
    Lube Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Does any actually trust any supermarket to be honest and above boards its a marketing ploy plain and simple
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mysupermarket is independant from any of the shopping giants.

I quite like the new guarantee, means I don't need to shop around as I will get it at the same rate from shopping under one roof. Also colleagues get their guarantee on 10% cheaper after their discount so I recon this will save me quite a bit if I remember to keep the receipts.
  • crockpot
    crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
    I checked my online shop and have a voucher for 15p being sent to me, well it all adds up!

But half of the stuff was not compared, maybe because I do not buy premium brands? just asda and cheap items.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure