Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Comments

• Just received a letter from Survey UK - looked to good to be true, so searched for them on here and, low and behold, it is a scam :rolleyes: .

The letter (addressed to Mr/Mrs, but no surname) contained a blue slip saying "Congratulations, This number has drawn one of the gifts donated by local businesses. Total value of gifts exceed £32,500."
    There is a number to ring - quoted as normal telephone rate - and a gift confirmation number.

There was also a compliments slip with it from: Survey UK, Matters Consulting Ltd t/a Survey UK, Victoria House, 1 Gloucester Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51 8LN

From what I have read on here, if I ring the number, I will be offered a gym membership! So i won't bother! :rotfl:

As they seem to target one area at a time, it looks like they have moved onto the Bristol area, so be warned!
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • star100
    star100 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Just received this email - don't think I'll bother claiming!!!

Winning Notification (Ref: LSUK/2031/8161/05)‏ From: UK National Lottery (info@uknlfoundation.org)
    i_yellowshield.gifYou may not know this sender.[URL="javascript:;"]Mark as safe[/URL]|[URL="javascript:;"]Mark as unsafe[/URL] Sent: 06 September 2008 10:06:07 Reply-to: uknlfoundation02@verizon.net To:

Ref: LSUK/2031/8161/05
    Batch: R3/A312-59

WINNING NOTIFICATION

We happily announce to you the recent draw of the UK NATIONAL LOTTERY,
    online Sweepstakes International Program held on

September 04 2008.

Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 56475600545 188 with Serial
    number 5368/02 drew the lucky numbers:

01-14-21-3-35-48 and a bonus number of 24.

You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of 590,983.00 GBP
    (Five Hundred and Ninety Thousand Nine Hundred and

Eighty Three Great British Pounds) in cash credited to file
    KTU/9023118308/03.

To file for your claim, please contact your fiduciary agent via email
    immediately:

Mr. Richard Ness
    Claims Department
    The UKNL Foundation
    Email: uknlfoundation02@verizon.net

You are required to provide the following information for verification
    purposes:

Full Name:
    Full Contact Address:
    Sex:
    Tel (Home/Office/Mobile):
    Country of residence:

Congratulations once more and from all members and staff of this program.

Yours Truly,

Dr. Paul Siegel,
    For The UKNL Foundation.
  • izzy0608
    izzy0608 Posts: 281 Forumite
    I received an email this morning from Natasha Campbell [EMAIL="info@deliveryservice.com"]info@deliveryservice.com[/EMAIL] with a link to a site where I could enter a comp to win $100 of Argos vouchers.
    The website is http://www.winargosvouchers.co.uk/index.pl?aff=ism-CD56e
    It instructs you to enter your mobile number to sign up.
    You need to be very careful and read the small print at the bottom of the page.
    If you enter your mobile phone number you will receive a login code to logon to the website and at this point you will have been charged £10.
    Has anybody else signed up without reading the small print? Can I have your thoughts on this matter please.

user_online.gif [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com?subject=Reporting post http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=13968783"]report.gif[/EMAIL] Iam not sure if this a scam or just misleading? I have also posted this on the warnings board.
  • doe's anyone enter competitions to win holidays and short breaks or are they all a bit fishy?
    what do I need to look out for on the t&c's?
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    doe's anyone enter competitions to win holidays and short breaks or are they all a bit fishy?
    what do I need to look out for on the t&c's?
    I do, and I won a holiday to Dartmouth (next month :j ) with a bridal magazine. May not be able to go as the schools are cracking down on allowing time off in school time. My advice is enter them but try and remember which ones you entered, hard I know if you do loads of comps :rotfl:
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £79.56 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • Just had a phone call (Number they rang from was 01268 557600) from a lovely lady who was absolutely THRILLED to tell me that having filled in a survey at Faro airport last month, we had won a fantastic free holiday for four people!

What a load of old tosh...:rotfl:

All I need to do is call 0800 988 9904 TODAY and quote the reference code I've been given.

I'll then be sent all the details in the post about the holiday - 5* self catering accom with free return flights for 4 people, destinations to include Portugal, Spain or the Canaries.

And guess what??? All I have to do to claim my fantastic free holiday is pay them a £29 reservation Fee.

I don't think so....:p
  • Another SCAM alert!!

Just received this in my inbox....

THE NATIONAL LOTTERY
    152 PORTOBELLO ROAD,
    LONDON W11 2EA
    UNITED KINGDOM.

Dear Prize Winner,

You have been awarded 2,000,000 Euros in The National Lottery Satellite
    Software email lottery in which e-mail addresses were picked randomly by
    Software powered by the Internet through the worldwide website. Your email
    address was amongst those chosen this year for The National Lottery category
    "B" winners. Software corporations and other multi-national organizations to
    help individuals in places where they have operational base generate
    fortunes proudly sponsor this promotion.

Your email address, attached to Reference Number: LOT/132/756 with Serial
    Number: 538901527-NL68 and Ticket Number: 27522465896-UKLOT drew the lucky
    numbers 05,20,26,33,50 and Bonus (07), consequently won 2,000,000 Euros in
    the "B" Category. Please note that your lucky winning numbers fall within
    our European Booklet representative office in the United Kingdom as
    indicated in your play coupon. In View of this, your 2,000,000 Euros will be
    released to you by our accredited claims agent located in London. The agent
    will immediately commence the process to facilitate the release of your
    winning funds as soon as you contact them.

This promotion takes place annually. For security reasons, you are advised
    to keep your winning details confidential till your claims is processed and
    your winning prize remitted to you through any of our paying banks. This is
    part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and unwarranted
    abuse of this program by some unscrupulous elements.

To file for your claim, please contact our/your accredited claims agent:

Name: Murray McBridge
    Email: [EMAIL="murraymcbridge@informaticos.com"]murraymcbridge@informaticos.com[/EMAIL]

For payment, please do provide the following information:

1. Full Names:
    2. Address:
    3. Age:
    4. Sex:
    5. Marital Status:
    6. Occupation:
    7. Country of Residence:
    8. Nationality:
    9. Telephone Number:
    10. Fax Number:

These details facilitate the due process and the release of winnings; to
    avoid unnecessary delays and complications in the processing of your
    winnings, always remember to quote your reference/serial number in any
    correspondence(s) with us or our/your designated claims agent.

Congratulations!!!

Sincerely yours,

Ms. Susan F White
    Material Copyright © 2008 The National Lottery All Rights Reserved.

Checked the address and its the HSBC bank!?!?!
    ♥.
  • The company is Club La Costa or CLC Hotels and Resorts. They said I entered a comp on ukprizedraws.co.uk, but this is a parked domain (i.e. not in use any more), so it may have been ukprizedraw.co.uk or uk-prizedraw.co.uk.

On the first phone call I'd won a 7-day holiday to Portugal, Spain, Canaries, Scotland or Cornwall. I asked what obligation fell on me and she said "only the booking fee which will be about £20". I said I was suspicious and she said there was no need because that was all, just the £20.

When I called the 0800 number to claim my "prize" my obligation had grown to £260 and I had to attend an "exhibition" to qualify. The holiday was also restricted to Tenerife, the Algarve or Costa Del Sol.

I strongly suspect my obligation would have grown again at the exhibition, to the extent that I could have got the holiday cheaper without the competition!

Personally, I won't be using that website again, if I did in the first place.

I'm not sure how these people sleep at night.
  • 2520years wrote: »
    The company is Club La Costa or CLC Hotels and Resorts. They said I entered a comp on ukprizedraws.co.uk, but this is a parked domain (i.e. not in use any more), so it may have been ukprizedraw.co.uk or uk-prizedraw.co.uk.

On the first phone call I'd won a 7-day holiday to Portugal, Spain, Canaries, Scotland or Cornwall. I asked what obligation fell on me and she said "only the booking fee which will be about £20". I said I was suspicious and she said there was no need because that was all, just the £20.

When I called the 0800 number to claim my "prize" my obligation had grown to £260 and I had to attend an "exhibition" to qualify. The holiday was also restricted to Tenerife, the Algarve or Costa Del Sol.

I strongly suspect my obligation would have grown again at the exhibition, to the extent that I could have got the holiday cheaper without the competition!

Personally, I won't be using that website again, if I did in the first place.

I'm not sure how these people sleep at night.

I had a call from these people a few weeks ago myself. They got my info from here-
    http://www.2minutedraw.com/afform_2/index.php

They're best avoided.
    Thanks to everyone who posts comps, I love winning prizes big and small
    :A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills