Can anyone recommend a best buy Funeral Plan?

Comments

• brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    Is buying a funeral plan a good idea?
    A lot depends on when it is due to kick in. If is tomorrow I can think of a couple of people I might buy one for :o
    Something Really Interesting
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My dad took one out earlier this year as it was becoming obvious he was going to need to move into proper care and he wanted the security of knowing that if his money ran out I wouldn't be worried about having to pay for his funeral.

He has the basic Co Op funeral plan, I think it was £2250 and for that he has a service, coffin all the ministers and funeral directors fees. The only extra we will have to pay for is a car to follow the hearse if we choose to have one. Dad was never one for funerals or for any 'nonsense' as he called it and always asked that we just gave his body away and be done with it when he died, but when he realised that was probably not going to be possible, leaving us with a funeral bill really worried him so the plan took care of that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Similar to soolin - my parents are on benefits and can only have £6000 in savings before the benefits start to be affected. If you put aside savings for two funerals, it doesn't leave much leeway if you want to save up for big purchases to make life easier. By paying for two funeral plans, with Age Concern, they effectively have covered their funeral costs and can still have £6000 in savings.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Financially it may not be worth doing, as savings would perhaps earn more interest than the cost of a funeral would increase with inflation.
    It's certainly not worth doing just to ensure the funeral directors know what the deceased's wishes were as documents relating to a funeral plan are as easily lost as a letter to those left behind giving instructions as to what's wanted, if you see what I mean.
    Personally, the only instructions I would make sure EVERYONE knew about would be a request for donations to a specific charity or good cause instead of flowers/wreath/floral tribute.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    soolin wrote: »

He has the basic Co Op funeral plan, I think it was £2250 and for that he has a service, coffin all the ministers and funeral directors fees.

I don't claim to be an expert on funeral costs, as it's not the sort of thing one tends to buy that often , but £2250 seems a tad pricey to me. My mother's funeral last year, done by our local (family business) undertaker came to just under £1300. That included hearse, bearers, crematorium fees, vicar etc.
    I was very pleased with the way it was handled.

It might be better to put the money into the building society. Banks and Building Societies will usually pay funeral expenses from the estate before Probate is granted.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I guess the cost of a funeral depends on whereabouts in the country it takes place. The last two I've arranged in West Yorkshire, one of them last week, were £1500 for crem coffin, hearse, vicar, crem fees, and services of the funeral director.
    Oh dear, what a subject for Christmas time !
    Happy new year to everyone.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Our last family funeral was a little over £3000 but we had an extra car and a full church service. My MIL three years ago was very basic and was approx £2000, so the £2250 didn;t seem unreasonable.

However the main reason we did this though was to have the funds set aside so that we can 'happily' (oh the irony) spend the rest on dad's care completely and give him the choice of care home for as long as we can and yet not worry about having anything left for the funeral later. The care home said it was also fairly standard to do this when someone was self funded to legitimately use some of the funds before they all get used to pay care home fees which are currently a tad under £2500 a month.

It might be expensive, but dad had peace of mind and for many elderly people funerals are a worry, and it is one less thing for me to worry about in the long term when anything happens to dad.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    my parents bought funeral plans over 10 years ago, they decided what coffin etc they wanted - this was to take a lot of the arrangments out of everyones hands when they did die
    have to say when my dad passed away last year it was a god send, me and my mum just had to take the paperwork down to the coop funeral directors and they just asked us for the up to date arrangements such as notices in papers, rememberance leaflets
    we only had to pay something like £60 for the extras we decided on that day

it took away some of the emotional stuff such as deciding on the coffins, whether it was a burial or cremation
    and i have to say im glad my mum has hers as when she passes it would just be left to me to deal with everything and at least i know most of the funeral arrangements are sorted
  • Whitefiver
    Whitefiver Posts: 688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,

All I can say was that I was very grateful to my parents for taking out funeral plans - made my life much simpler when the time came..... (and no, I don't mean that I didn't have to fund the funerals!)

I cannot vouch for the financial implications, but I believe my parents took theirs out around ten years before they died, (and in my Father's case, significantly longer), so I would think it was probably worthwhile for them.

Regards,

White
  • Bonbon
    Bonbon Posts: 564 Forumite
    Whitefiver wrote: »
    Hi,

All I can say was that I was very grateful to my parents for taking out funeral plans - made my life much simpler when the time came..... (and no, I don't mean that I didn't have to fund the funerals!)

Regards,

White

I have to agree that it made things easier at such a sad time.There were no decisions to be made, as my mother had arranged the lot....including the music she wanted. I knew that the day was exactly as she wished.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure