Buchanan clark & wells??

Options

Comments

• Kirstin200
    Options
    Hi I am so glad I found this site - just come back home after work and guess what - a message from BC&W saying to call them immediately, did google search and ended up here. I definately DO NOT have any debts old new or from previous addresses. However the people who had the house before we bought it have lots (both husband and wife). Wife died, husband bought house from her estate, husband died, we bought from his estate...we are still getting letters over a year later from debt collectors most of whom either me or MOH explained on phone what had happened. Now I get this phone call! We are nothing to do with the other family, have passed most letters onto their solicitors and still we get more letters etc. Getting a little bit tired of it all. How do I stop this please? thought about another phone number but why should I?
    Any advice please?
  • VictimOfImpersonation
    VictimOfImpersonation Posts: 334 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2010 at 11:04AM
    Options
    I received the same automated call message. As I have been a Victim Of Impersonation (Identity Fraud) in the past, and as I can handle myself in business I obtained the BCW geographic number which is 0141 562 2623, turned off Caller ID on my phone and called them to find out what it was about.

I do not recommend this to anyone who is the slightest bit unsure if they can handle themselves up against such an outfit, but I relate my experience here in case it might help a few people.

So, I called the number and chose option 3. Option 1 is to make a payment. Option 2 acknowledges that you are the person named (no-one was named in the message left by BCW on my landline). Option 3 is for all other calls.

After holding for about 2 minutes, a pleasant enough Scots lady answered. She asked who she was speaking to and I said we might get to that after I had found out what the call was about. She asked for the reference number which I gave. I said that I knew what business BCW were in and my purpose in calling was merely to ensure that I had not been impersonated (ID fraud) and been left with a debt in my name. I said I do not have now, and have never had, any defaulted debts. I said that over the years that the landline number has been allocated to me, there have been calls from time to time from agencies that were seeking other named individuals linked to a completely different address where the number seems to have been in use many years ago.

At that point she said "I take it then that your name is not XYZ?"

You are correct I said. I can give you a partial address that I have been told by other callers was linked to my number years ago if that helps? She agreed it might. I gave it - it is the name of a block of flats elsewhere in my STD code area.

"Can I ask when we called you?" she said. I gave her the exact details from my answerphone. "Can I ask what number we called you on?" she then said.

This is the point in the call at which clever MSE followers might baulk at confirming their own landline number, but at this stage I personally felt comfortable that I was having a proper conversation.

She then said that she could no longer see that telephone number on the record with the reference number we were talking about and that it would appear that it had been removed in the last week or so since they had left the message. She said she did not know why the number might have been removed from the record, but it appeared that it had.

She then perfectly candidly said that I should expect no further contact from them.

I learned two pieces of new information from BCW. They learned a little more from me. It wasn't a perfect investigation on my part, but I am happy they are not chasing me by name and that they gave an assurance I would not hear from them again. At no point did I give my name directly, but if they wanted it they could probably reverse lookup my landline number. Anyway the main result I was after was to get rid of the uncertainty of not knowing anything about why they called to ensure that I was not under ID Fraud attack again, and I feel I achieved that.

So, let's see if i do hear from them again :p

Again, I do not recommend that anyone calls this organisation unless they are confident that they know what they are doing and what the risks might be if a mistake is made during the call. I am perfectly willing to accept that some may even say that I was not very clever by calling ! But at least I am less worried now than I was before I made the call. I'll let you know if anything more happens.

• Guitarman30
    Options
    These clowns have been chasing me for the best part of 2 years for an outstanding NPower bill for around £1500... and get this... for a house I dont own!

I sold my house 4 years ago and they say I owe this bill from 2008 (do the maths). It gets better... I only lived at my previous property for less than a year, and my gas/electric were on pre-pay card meters. So all gas and electricity were paid for up front! And just to prove that NPower don't send people out anymore to read meters, the property has been empty since I sold it. The house is actually boarded up!

I had a call from BCW about an hour ago. I went over all this again and then asked the guy if I sent him a bill (I am self employed) even though I havent actually done anything for him, would he pay it?!? He said no, I then asked why should I? I also informed him that if this continues I will be seaking legal advise myself... He then seemed to get upset that I wasnt frightened by them and put the phone down on me. They are obviously used little frightened old ladies.

My advise is: If you owe money, pay it! If you dont, stand and fight! Bullys usually back down if you stand up to them!
  • Hey all, I know this is an old thread but I hope someone could still help me out. I owe T-mobile some money which was passed onto Buchanan Clark and Wells. I now am in a position to be able to pay this off in a couple of installments.

The problem being, I have a letter off of T-mobile stating that I owe them the money, but I also have a letter off BC&W stating that I owe them the money. Both figures are basically the same, give or take £1 or 2.

Is it just the one debt that I owe, or are both of them wanting to take my money.

Any help will be very much appreciated, thanks, James.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The problem being, I have a letter off of T-mobile stating that I owe them the money, but I also have a letter off BC&W stating that I owe them the money. Both figures are basically the same, give or take £1 or 2.

Is it just the one debt that I owe, or are both of them wanting to take my money.

Check the reference numbers - sounds like they should match. Probably safer to pay T-Mobile and ask them to recall it from BCW.
  • RedGrif
    Options
    :)Found this site in the nick of time.

I'm being harassed by the above on behalf of United Utilities. It is my landlord who is responsible for the bills, so I wrote to United Utilities to find out if the BCW demand was true, explaining that I did not have an account with them.
    :mad:Reply = less than helpful.
    I have written and emailed them several times now and still they fail to call of the clueless blood hounds known as Buchananclark + Wells.

On a friends advice, who had a similar problem I have, in letters I sent over a week ago warned United Utilities that I would be seeking legal assistance, starting with their regulator if they did not meet the deadlines set in the letter.
    They failed and I have now written to OFWAT and the Consumer Council for Water.

I got home from town earlier today and found a Doorstep Visit letter from 'Guess who', so I am not pleased and can only hope that the regulator and the Consumer Council can act, or get United Utilities to act in time.

On a possible upside, as I am a student I rent a room in the property, it just so happens to be on the top floor where I (thankfully) can't hear the doorbell.
    :exclamatiProblem is as all areas are furnished by the landlord, even if they do not get to me, where will this leave me as I imagine that the landlord will put the owness on me to pay up for and/or repair any damages and losses?

:question:Also, When writing to BCW, which should I use BCW Ref or Client Ref? These are the only 2 numbers that their letters give me.
    Does this mean that they have plucked my name and address out of an unlucky dip for kicks, rather than a genuine debt being owed?

:beer:I should also say THANKS to the people who have posted or linked pages with template letters as I shall be trying some of these out ASAP.

Here's hoping they work.
  • Needhelp001
    Options
    Today i had a letter from BuchananClark&Wells, saying it was a legal notification.
    The letter went on to say that as i had not contacted them re payment for something i know to be statue barred that they are now preparing for the issue of a claim against me in court. This debt is being pursued by Aktiv Kapital UK Ltd, and i have no idea who they are.

Should i contact them? should i just ignore it? what should i do?.

By the way the amount they are asking for is £40 which i thought had been paid off 7 years ago by my ex partner.

Any Help would be great thank you.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Today i had a letter from BuchananClark&Wells, saying it was a legal notification.
    The letter went on to say that as i had not contacted them re payment for something i know to be statue barred that they are now preparing for the issue of a claim against me in court. This debt is being pursued by Aktiv Kapital UK Ltd, and i have no idea who they are.

Should i contact them? should i just ignore it? what should i do?.

By the way the amount they are asking for is £40 which i thought had been paid off 7 years ago by my ex partner.

Any Help would be great thank you.

'Legal Notification' means nothing - it's a standard threatogram from a bottom-end DCA acting for an organisation that is well known for buying time-barred debts.

Goodness knows what a £40 account must have changed hands for - the price of a stamp?

Anyway, you seem sure that it is statute barred so send the letter. If they don't immediately cease debt collection activity then complain to the Financial Ombudsman (copy to OFT and Credit Services Association) and claim £40 compensation. :)
  • RedGrif
    RedGrif Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 16 November 2010 at 2:48PM
    Options
    :(Still battleing over BCW and now United Utilities, have contacted the consumer Council for water to get United Utilities to own up to what they are playing at but now I am stuck as I have the bill that United Utilities never sent to me, that's fine as I was going to pay it but before I got a chance I came home from one day and found a letter from BCW demanding money, supposedly for the United Utilities bill but just over £25 less than the actual bill.

Are they playing me and wanting me to pay for things that they claim to have done to me (reporting me to the local court, messing up my credit record) despite not even having tried to take me to court? Their deadline was that they wanted the money by today!

I received the letter on Thursday afternoon. On friday I had no choice other that to phone the Consumer Council for water as I had put the case in their hands and a 10+ day wait for a reply to a letter would never get back to me in time. I was promised a call back the same day but still have had none.

What do I do?
    I now finally know that the original amount of £77.75 is genuine and have the bill, so I can now pay United Utilities but this still leaves me with BCW and the damage they have done or allegedly done to me??
    Do I pay the BCW demand of £52.09 today and hope that this will resolve everything, if so how will I know that the damages done by them has been undone and how do I know if United Utilities have been paid to their satisfaction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
  • gibby
    gibby Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    Buchanan clark & wells or BCW have a habit of digging up old debts or buying old debts or just making them up & then chasing people until they get sick of being pestered & then paying up.

Usually these debts have been sold on several times & they are just taking the chance they can get some money, usually settling for far less than the original debt.

I did help a mate out a few months back who was getting 30+ calls a week to various numbers. They seem to use social networking sites to get as much info as possible - so be careful on what you put out there.

The debt had been paid off & was over 6 years old but they kept ringing his parents, work, old girlfriend etc.

what does seem to stop them is this.

when they call & ask for you to confirm your details refuse saying you don't give out that info over the phone.
    They usually then state that have sent you a letter or two & its helpful to reply that if they have a genuine reason to contact you, you will deal with it in writing, if its legitimate.

G

never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills