A Ditherer's Diary (again)

Comments

• Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Some money saving already managed this morning. MrM suggested we take the kids out to breakfast and I said no. It's something we used to do fairly regularly on a Sunday. Kids eat free but it's still £20 spend.

He knows we are in the overdraft and the majority of the credit card debt but I don't think it's in his head yet about the small savings helping the big stuff.

He still smokes. I don't nag him as I know how hard it is to quit. I stopped 8 years ago. He has quit before but in times of stress he starts again. He doesn't get that the stress is still there whether you smoke or not. Hopefully it'll click soon.
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Naomim
    Well yesterday I managed what I think was possibly my first NSD :money: I'm doing well on bringing in the packed lunches.

The money I made from the market research has actually made it into my bank account. Usually I'd get it and keep it in my purse until it went. I've also banked £20 into the bank account today which is from the 7yo. She wanted a "boy" doll :o I told her as Father Christmas had not long been and she had been given £20 Christmas money, if she wanted it she had to pay for it. I ordered it from Amazon and took the money out of her piggy bank. Like the market research it would normally go in my purse and get swallowed up. So just now I've been to the bank and paid it in! :T

I have £65 left of my monthly spending money left to last until the 15th Feb. I'm sure I can do this!

This week & next week I am doing another market research..all about biscuits :j I'll be in heaven and £100 better off :money:

Sadly, my friends son has died. He was only 22. He was living in Australia so there's been a Go Fund me page set up to repatriate him. I've donated au$20.00 (£11.00). I hope she reaches her target to get him home.

Naomi x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Sorry to hear about your friends son Naomim - what sad news.
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Naomim
    I feel guilty as I've been caught up in my own worry bubble and haven't spoken to her for a while. I cancelled our last time to meet up because I couldn't afford it.

Making time for friends costs nothing.
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    That is very true. It's so easy to get lost in paying down debt, when all it really takes is time. It's just a shame that often it takes a tragedy to remind us of that.
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Naomim
    So just when you think you're getting a handlke on things, something pops up! I came home to a letter from M&S credit card saying my DD had been refused. I know there was more than enough available funds . I called and made payment over the phone but had to do two months worth. The customer assistant guy said my DD was cancelled as I hadn't used the account for more than 13 months. He's removed charges from the account but it was still a shock to the system!
  • Jonesy88
    Jonesy88 Posts: 959 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Just popping by to say good luck with the house work, you sound so determined.
    :rudolf: DF by Xmas 2018: #83 £8,250/£15,000 55% :rudolf:
    SPC 7: #135 :staradmin | MFW 9.72% | Groceries: £6.49/£80 | Exercise 0/20 | NSDs 0/15
  • Naomim
    A little spend to report yesterday.. £3.10 on parking as had to go and get 11yo new PE kit. He lost his a few weeks ago and it's not turned up. I'm not counting the £35 I spent replacing said kit as that comes out of my child benefit money which I keep in a different account to everything else to make sure it is only used on the kids stuff.

We have received confirmation from the mortgage company that the mortgage offer has been issued. I can breathe again knowing we can pay the carpenter, roofer etc.

Today is the deadline for the builder to reply to our letter asking for refund. Last night MrM and I drafted a new letter to offer arbitration ready to send off tomorrow. I need to go and type it in a minute. However the builder has moved to the Isle of Wight and we don't have his address. He's only just gone so wont be on the electoral roll yet so I don't know if we'll be able to find his address. I'm just hoping he'll have a forwarding service with Royal Mail.

Still going gung-ho with the packed lunches. Today was garden pea & mint green soup from Aldi with a bread roll. lovely on a cold day.

Off to type the letter to the builder...

Naomi x
  • Naomim
    Afternoon all. Letter sent, I hope the builder has a redirection service on his post! I sent it 1st class signed for so I guess it'll come back to me if he hasn't. Not sure what our next move would be otherwise.

Checked the bank account today. Whilst we are still in the overdraft, I feel we're certainly making in-roads into it.

I've paid my car insurance. £100 off the renewal quote. it's with Tesco bank so I think I got extra clubcard points and I paid with my Clubcard/credit card which I'll pay off in full on pay day.

Had a bit of a disappointing food shop spend at the weekend. I went to Aldi and spent £45 then I popped to Tesco to collect a few bits and spent another £37! One good thing was a chicken. £5.50 in Tesco and was 2.34kg so there's enough for about 3 dinners this week!

I have meal planned for the weeks meals and my shopping includes all the food & drinks for packed lunches too so it does work out a saving.

I also save my £2 coins. I got given 4 this weekend. That's £34 in January! It's a bit of a double edged sword though as DS and I have monthly "pocket money" I now only have £22 left to see me through to the 15th of the month. I was hoping to have about that left to chip at the credit cards. I have been good this month at logging onto an app on my phone when I spend money. It's a lot of small amounts and I've spent a fair bit on parking when going shopping too.

Two weeks no spending.... tough, especially as 13th - 17th Feb is half term. I'm off for two days and have planned to take kids to the Science Museum and take lunch with us. I need to find something to do for my other day. I think I'll look on the clubcard website and see if I can cash in some tickets somewhere. It's getting harder as 11yo is too big for the soft play places but 7yo still loves them and it's not always fair for her to get left out but I can't leave 11yo on his own for a day.

Plans for this week are:

Continue with packed lunches.
    Check Barclaycard as think 0% interest deal expiring.
    4 NSD's! - I have book club one day so will probably be a lunch.

fingers crossed.
  • Naomim
    A bit depressed today.

The letter hasn't reached the builder. I sent it 1st class signed for and is sitting at the collection office but it's the address I know he's moved from. He's moved away and I can't find a way of getting his address to continue pursuing him for what he owes. I've tried everything I can think of.

Also remember 11yo is booked on a ski-ing trip with school and still have £700 to pay. We can pay in installments but I just forgot.

I did bring in a lovely lunch from home today; brie & cranberry pannini, crisps and some fruit. So at least today will be an NSD.

Tomorrow I'm off work so I'm going to try and get some bits listed on eBay.

Naomi x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback