We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged

Comments

• kipper_2-2
    kipper_2-2 Posts: 56,025 Forumite
    Need some text for keyword searching though.

And email address subject headers would have to be posted for those that don't have Outlook/Live Mail etc as they won't get to see them if its automatically done from the competition web site.
  • Mamzie
    Mamzie Posts: 2,540
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    I suspect it's all the details, including graphics.

Links and answers only, possibly.

I imagine the companies actually want us to go through their site, so that would work. Wish we knew which ones had asked through.

(link to discussion thread)
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly :)

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
  • kipper wrote: »
    Need some text for keyword searching though.

And email address subject headers would have to be posted for those that don't have Outlook/Live Mail etc as they won't get to see them if its automatically done from the competition web site.

I use Outlook Express which doesn't work with email 'links' on sites so need the email addy on here PLEASE xxx
    2023 wins - Rice Krispies, Avene Micellar Gel, Barbie Toy, £20 Apple Gift Card, KFC 6 piece bargain bucket, Chloe Nomade perfume, Barbie Toy (second one), Sanctuary Spa Sleep Balm, E45 Moisturising Lotion, Trolls Hamper, 12 Tonie Characters, Sure deodorant, Good Home Utensil holder, £5 Costa Gift Card, Neutrogena Micellar Jelly, Soap & Glory Mascara, Persil capsules,  
  • kipper_2-2
    Mamzie wrote: »
    I imagine the companies actually want us to go through their site, so that would work. Wish we knew which ones had asked through.

(link to discussion thread)

Well to get round that, instead of directly linking to the site from here you could always copy the link and open it in a new window, or do what they do on the Gambling Board and hxxp the link.

For example instead of doing http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com as a link

Put in hxxp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com

its now no longer a live link, but if you copy/paste that in a new window/tab the link still works and they don't know where you have come from (sneaky, but it works :))
  • wokkies
    wokkies Posts: 8,459
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    :confused: I dont understand so I'll not post comps anymore, I'll pm someone else to post for me:D
    to be updated:;)
  • kipper_2-2
    wokkies wrote: »
    :confused: I dont understand so I'll not post comps anymore, I'll pm someone else to post for me:D

Basically don't copy and paste all the text from a competition webpage onto here. Just do a link and a short description of prize.

From the Forum Etiquette:

Take care over copyright. Use excerpts and links rather than copying long text. This site asserts copyright on all comments posted on the board.

:)
  • I'm sure that this only applies to competitions where entry is email based.

After all, competitions are largely promotional efforts by companies to get people onto their websites, right ?

If the competition has to be entered by email, and someone posts the email address, etc. on here, then no one goes to the website, and the promotion effort fails.

On the other hand, if entry is via a form on the company's website, I'm sure they can't be anything but pleased that hundreds of people are being driven to their site because of this one.
  • Winjackie
    Winjackie Posts: 1,726
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kipper wrote: »
    Well to get round that, instead of directly linking to the site from here you could always copy the link and open it in a new window, or do what they do on the Gambling Board and hxxp the link.

For example instead of doing http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com as a link

Put in hxxp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com

its now no longer a live link, but if you copy/paste that in a new window/tab the link still works and they don't know where you have come from (sneaky, but it works :))

Think I understand you kipper (hopefully :eek: ) but I am in the same position as a previous poster whereby I cannot click through email links, mine don't work :confused: so am always grateful to the people who post email addys for comps.
    If at first you don't succeed ........ ;) Alternative autism therapies should be free!!
  • wokkies
    wokkies Posts: 8,459
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So I am ok if I just post the link for the competition of the web page and nuffin else:confused:
    to be updated:;)
  • kipper_2-2
    Winjackie wrote: »
    Think I understand you kipper (hopefully :eek: ) but I am in the same position as a previous poster whereby I cannot click through email links, mine don't work :confused: so am always grateful to the people who post email addys for comps.

What I put would only would be a last resort if things did go bad :eek:

From a live link you can determine where the traffic has come from, hence MSE getting complaints about links etc, we have also had site owners join to have a pop about posting comps from their sites or sometimes they come thank the OP's for promoting it as such.

The reason they don't have live links in the Gambling And Introductory Loopholes Board is for the same reason, if they see too much traffic coming from here, bookies can pull offers and change T&C's accordingly due to oversubscription.

MSE is only protecting its interests as said this forum asserts copyright to things posted on here and if someone gets a.rsey there could be trouble!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure