Share Dealing Discussion Area

Comments

• Skull13
    Skull13 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Hi all

i'm hoping someone can help!

i have some shares which were held electronically, but have now been issued to me as a paper certificate. (due to company policy changes)

i would like to sell these fairly quickly but am disabled and housebound and unable to communicate by telephone.

can anyone advise a good value agent where i can sell them online or by email and then post the certificate on without having to telephone first or visit a branch?

thanks in advance
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Skull13 wrote:
    can anyone advise a good value agent where i can sell them online or by email and then post the certificate on without having to telephone first or visit a branch?
    Can I recommend Selftrade - they charge £12.50 for selling your shares - whether you do so online or by telephone (I note what you say about not being able to communicate by telephone but they also have a RNID Typetalk number if yu use that)

Though as with most/all online/telephone brokers, you need to send them the share certificate before you sell them..

In addition, if you are referred by an existing customer, you will get £50 for joining :: No Referral Board Linking Please - FM :: - which means you will be effectively selling your shares for free and getting extra profit!

Regards
    Sunil
  • Can you send me a referral link please?
    What do I do if the compnay I want to sell - coca cola hbc ordinary 50p shares, i orginally bought 100 shares, i think they consolidated, but I only have the orginal 100 share certificate, I got statements from LLyods, although I originally bought through barclays? Do I sell 10 and send them the 100 cert?
  • gt94sss2
    Can you send me a referral link please?
    What do I do if the compnay I want to sell - coca cola hbc ordinary 50p shares, i orginally bought 100 shares, i think they consolidated, but I only have the orginal 100 share certificate, I got statements from LLyods, although I originally bought through barclays? Do I sell 10 and send them the 100 cert?

You would need to send me a Private Message with your full name and an email address that I can pass to Selftrade who would then invite you to join their service.

Re: your Coca Cola shares - if you include further details about the statements you receive from Lloyds , I will hopefully be able to help you.

Regards
    Sunil
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can you send me a referral link please?

There is more information regarding the SELFTRADE HERE referal. there are several members offering to refer you.

gt94sss should not be asking for referals on this thread, as it is against the site rules and is abuse of MSE
  • Hi

Does anyone know the best sites on the internet that give you up to date information of new companies going public. For example I was awarded some Standard Life shares by the company last year for having some of their products, I took the option to buy extra and they are doing nicely, I would not have known about these if it was not for them automatically sending me a prospectus. I presume there are sites that point you in the right direction and to be able to apply for a prospectus from these companies.

Any info would be appreciated.;)
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,338 Forumite

Does anyone know the best sites on the internet that give you up to date information of new companies going public.
    Allipo is AFAIK the only site of that kind. Bear in mind that most companies going public for the first time are very very risky; it isn't often that a large, well established company is floated. And when it does happen, it generally makes headlines well in advance of the actual flotation date so there's plenty of time to ask for a prospectus.

Oh, and btw as often as not it pays to wait a few months after a company has floated before buying shares as it is very rare for the price to shoot up in a straight line - usually the opposite, IME...
  • thepearce
    thepearce Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all,

I managed to buy some IBM shares http://finance.google.com/finance?q=IBM when they were going for about $124. Lucky me. I was in the employee purchase plan. After I left IBM's employ these were no longer held eletronically for me and I was issued with a paper certificate.

I've just about had enough of holding onto these shares and could do with some cash......except places I have tried seem to have issues with :
    a) paper certificates
    b) US / NYSE shares

...and by issues I mean they would like to charge me a tidy sum :). Can someone tell me the best / cheapest way of selling these when the time comes please?

(any chance of cashback to offset against fees most welcome :) )

Thanks.
  • gt94sss2
    thepearce wrote:
    I managed to buy some IBM shares http://finance.google.com/finance?q=IBM when they were going for about $124. Lucky me. I was in the employee purchase plan. After I left IBM's employ these were no longer held eletronically for me and I was issued with a paper certificate.

I've just about had enough of holding onto these shares and could do with some cash......except places I have tried seem to have issues with :
    a) paper certificates
    b) US / NYSE shares

...and by issues I mean they would like to charge me a tidy sum :). Can someone tell me the best / cheapest way of selling these when the time comes please?

Have you tried the stockbrokers listed in this thread?

Regards
    Sunil
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport